Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,750

0 members and 2,750 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Brock Lesnar Out of UFC 131

5/12/2011 5:05 PM ET By Michael David Smith

In a blockbuster announcement Thursday afternoon, UFC President Dana White revealed that Brock Lesnar is once again suffering from diverticulitis and will not be able to fight at UFC 131. Instead, the main event on that fight card will be Junior dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin.

"I want to thank the UFC, I want to thank Mr. White and I want to apologize to Junior dos Santos and Spike TV," Lesnar said. "This is an unfortunate situation for me. I dodged a bullet about two years ago with diverticulitis, at that time not knowing what the problem was. ... Diverticulitis is something that never goes away. It's something I've dealt with since the first occurrence and I've been battling it."

Lesnar said that he has been feeling sick for three months and has been on antibiotics, and that "It didn't allow me to train to my full capabilities. I was forced to make a decision to go back to the doctor this week." Lesnar said he spent 14 hours talking to doctors at the Mayo Clinic this week, and although he insisted that the illness won't end his career and that he won't retire from MMA, he said there's simply no way he can fight as scheduled in June.

"It wouldn't have been fair," Lesnar said. "My health is No. 1, my family is No. 1 and it was a hard decision. I'm choked up about it and there's nothing I can do."

Lesnar said White has been "first class" in his support through this relapse of his illness. White said he told Lesnar to make sure his personal health was his top priority.

"He was all bummed out about pulling out of the fight," White said, "I told him, 'Don't worry about the fight.' ... I'm glad it's not life-threatening."

For the UFC, losing the Lesnar-dos Santos bout is a major blow: This season of The Ultimate Fighter has been devoted to building up the two coaches, and it was expected to be one of the UFC's biggest pay-per-views of 2011. Instead, the UFC has now lost that main event, just a week after losing its UFC 130 main event of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard.

But while the news is bad for the UFC, Lesnar sounded an optimistic note about his future. Although he doesn't know when he'll be healthy enough to return to the Octagon, or whether he'll need surgery, he is confident he'll return eventually.

"I love this sport and I love what I do," Lesnar said. "This isn't the end of Brock Lesnar."
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    I've been wondering if he's had continuing issues, I guess now we know. I hope he gets well.

Thanks

Re: Brock Lesnar Out of UFC 131

Carwin/JDS might actually be a better fight. Brock needs more time to work on his striking before he thinks about another title shot (assuming he can get past JDS) anyway.

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks
    NOT a Lesnar fan. Watching him on this season of TUF cemented that for me. Looks like he turned a big bowl of chicken salad to a big bowl of chicken stuff
    Last edited by LadyOhh; 05-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Brock Lesnar Out of UFC 131

Quote Originally Posted by Agonies Creep View Post
    Carwin/JDS might actually be a better fight. Brock needs more time to work on his striking before he thinks about another title shot (assuming he can get past JDS) anyway.
    He also really needs to work his cardio from what i've seen in the last couple fights. He comes out with 2 mins of "hulk smash" but after that his striking is done...