Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,672

1 members and 2,671 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat issues....

Registered User Keyboard Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Heat issues....

I'm seriously beginning to lose it. I'm devoting more time to this snake than anything.

I bought a zilla temperature controller 1000 watt. Seemed to kinda work with my other heating pad, but the heating pad didn't get hot enough. So I got a zoo med heating pad. Plugged it in, and it isn't maintaining consistent temperatures at all. I put it on 90, and the heating pad goes to 110 degrees. I lower it to the point that, that red light goes off which is before 90, and it lowers it to 85. I don't know what to do, and I'm getting extremely frustrated...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Spend the extra money and get a proportional thermostat, it's really the best way to maintain consistent temps...the on/off ones won't do as well if your room temp fluctuates a lot.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Heat issues....

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Warrior View Post
    I'm seriously beginning to lose it. I'm devoting more time to this snake than anything.

I bought a zilla temperature controller 1000 watt. Seemed to kinda work with my other heating pad, but the heating pad didn't get hot enough. So I got a zoo med heating pad. Plugged it in, and it isn't maintaining consistent temperatures at all. I put it on 90, and the heating pad goes to 110 degrees. I lower it to the point that, that red light goes off which is before 90, and it lowers it to 85. I don't know what to do, and I'm getting extremely frustrated...
    Thermostats are only programmed to control the same heating source. You cant put 2 different brands/sizes on same thermostat and expect it to control them both properly.
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 05-09-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks

I would also definitely recommend getting a different thermostat. If you have the money, a proportional thermostat is awesome, but if not, I would suggest the Hydrofarm one that you can find on amazon for only around $27. It's still an on/off, but I use it and my temps only fluctuate a degree or two, definitely not anything like what you're experiencing now.
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

Thanks
    So it only works with Zilla heat mats? I have never heard that before, and that sounds highly unreasonable, the thing cost $50. It seemed to work fine with my exo terra mats, except it couldn't get it hot enough which I read is a problem with the exo terra mats.

Thanks

I think what he might have meant is that you can't have 2 different heat pads plugged into one thermostat at the same time... I could be wrong though. But no, every thermostat will work with every brand of heat mat, the only thing is that, as you've already found, every heat mat is different as far as quality and heat output.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Warrior
    the thing cost $50.
    Wow, what an overpriced piece of crap On amazon they're only $30, and even that's too much if it works as poorly as you say. The Hydrofarm one is much better, plus it has a digital readout, and of course a proportional one is the best. Is there any way you can get your money back?
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

Thanks
    Yeah, I bought it in store. It seemed to work fine, now its gone haywire....Right now I'm using the dimmer and thats kept a really consistent temperature. But thats just a temporary solution...I'd really like to get the zilla temperature controller working again....any ideas??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

I've used that same thermostat on up to two heat mats at the same time, with no problems. Are you adjusting the thermostat setting based on an independent thermometer (or heat gun)? I did find that the temp reading on the thermostat dial itself will not match the true hot spot temp, so I just sync it to a separate thermometer probe (or gun). Another point that has been mentioned is that the on/off stats don't do well in a room with highly fluctuating temps. My room temps only vary 3-4 degrees.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    I've used that same thermostat on up to two heat mats at the same time, with no problems. Are you adjusting the thermostat setting based on an independent thermometer (or heat gun)? I did find that the temp reading on the thermostat dial itself will not match the true hot spot temp, so I just sync it to a separate thermometer probe (or gun). Another point that has been mentioned is that the on/off stats don't do well in a room with highly fluctuating temps. My room temps only vary 3-4 degrees.
    I think people are thinking I'm using 2 heating pads with it, I'm not, I'm using only one. Yeah, I've been using a temp gun. I leave it on its lowest setting to where the red light goes on...it automatically heats it up to 110, and sometimes it shuts it off, other times it lets it go to 117, which its not supposed to.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    time for new thermostat as the probe may be faulty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast