Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

1 members and 2,830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Receiving Payments

I've signed up for PayPal and understand the fees involved, though I am unsure of how to link this with my site so that if I have an animal up for sale, someone can pay for it through Paypal. I also want to offer other payment types. With cashiers check and money order, those are sent by mail, correct? And when I cash them (I plan on setting up a bank account specifically for my snake breeding hobby) is the money instantly available or do they put holds on it? Do they do this for personal checks?

The reason I worry about checks is that a few years ago, we went to cash a check and it cleared the bank. We waited an additional week just to make sure the funds stayed put. After a week, the funds were there and we began using the money for little things..gas here...lunch there...a candy bar here...Then we noticed we were in the negative for a lot of money. While this account for my snakes will not be used like this, what is an acceptable wait time when you deposit a check from a customer to make sure the funds are not going to bounce back and you not have your money? I wouldn't want to receive a personal check, deposit it, send the animal and then have the funds bounce. So for cashiers check, money orders, and personal checks, how long should you wait after receiving the check and depositing it, if you wait at all, to ship the animal(s)?
    Last edited by Jay_Bunny; 05-09-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't spend anything until I know the customer is happy with the animal and my guarantee period is done.

You can also call the bank that the funds are drawn against to make sure the check can be covered.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Jay_Bunny (05-09-2011)

Thanks
    I definitely would not be spending any of the money unless I new the customer was happy with his/her purchase! But how long is your guarantee period? Most of the ones I see are only a 24 hour guarantee. That check we put into the bank had the funds available for a full week before the other bank decided "Nope, you can't have this" and pulled it, causing us to fall into the negative.

Sorry, I'm putting my terms of service together and I just came up with another question. What should you do if the animal arrives dead (of course this is if the animal was received on the first delivery attempt. If no one is there to receive, then obviously the live guarantee is void)? Do you have them ship it back to you for confirmation? If so, what if they are not certified to ship? Do you make them pay for it? Do you pay for it?

I've never sold animals over the internet before and I'm just trying to figure out what I should do, should these things arise.
    Last edited by Jay_Bunny; 05-09-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Under Construction.....

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I personally wouldnt worry about checks, with the paypal (that most people have already) they can also draft monies from their checking/savings to your paypal account. Just remember to figure in all the fees paypal is going to charge you

Thanks
    I did read about the fees. $0.30 per transaction plus up to 2.9% right? As the seller, I'll absorb that.

Oh, and since today is a "Get your stuff together" day, I'm also setting up a FedEx account so I can become certified to ship. When making the account, should I opt to set it up as a business account? I read before that FedEx does not allow for shipping reptiles to individual persons, you have to "send it to another business". When you ship you have to put "Insert Person's name" Reptiles on the label instead of just their name to make it look like its a business. Is this true?

Sorry for all the questions. I finally got a day to just sit down and start working on a temporary website and start getting stuff together for becoming certified. So I've got a lot of questions on how to get it done. Thanks to you two for helping.
    Under Construction.....

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personal checks can be returned for up to a year after they have clear for reasons of fraud, Many banks these days have converted to the "check 21" automated clearing system so funds availability status is known sooner, like with in two business days.

Certified funds like cashiers check or teller checks once issued can't be recalled. Due to the fact that they must be drawn on collected funds or cash. Many banks require the buyer of the item (check) to purchase an indemnity bond to even report it lost, and even then the item may only be re issued and not refunded.

Money orders are the most counterfeited negotiable item in the banking world and as such many banks treat them more carefully.

You can request that a personal check be sent for collection and not processed through the normal channels, but fee may apply.

As to whether the bank will put holds on personal checks or Money orders is going to depend on your relationship and history with the bank, bank balance, ect.

Since cashiers checks are drawn on certified funds it limits the type of holds the Fed allows the bank to place on the item. I want to say 3 days is the max they can hold the funds buy law and thats only for a new account status any more than that and it is against the Fed's Reg CC limits of Expected funds availability laws. Also the notice of the hold must be given at the time of deposit other wise the hold must be released and any fee's refunded and all outstanding items paid with in the account balance..
    Last edited by Freakie_frog; 05-09-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

Jay_Bunny (05-09-2011),PitOnTheProwl (05-09-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Only payment methods i accept for snake sales is Cash,USPS Money order or Cashiers checks.

The USPS Money orders are checked and verified at the office and cashed there up to 1,000 per money order, if they have it in the drawer. Cashiers checks i call the issuing bank to verify the numbers all match up and are legit. Once that is good, i deposit the check and wait for it to clear and then your good to go.

Im moving away from paypal as they have ripped me off over the years and im not the first one this has happened to. So i no longer accept them for any reptile sale, only supplies.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless it is someone I know or have delt with in the past, I don't ship till the money is clear. Once that happens it's off to the races. Remember that a check isn't anything more than a promise to negotiate(transfer) monies from one party to the other and as such isn't considered a completed payment until the check has cleared the issuing person bank.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Receiving Payments

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Unless it is someone I know or have delt with in the past, I don't ship till the money is clear. Once that happens it's off to the races. Remember that a check isn't anything more than a promise to negotiate(transfer) monies from one party to the other and as such isn't considered a completed payment until the check has cleared the issuing person bank.
    One reason I dont accept Personal Checks, as there is a lot of shady people out there.

Thanks
    Any answers to my questions on the FedEx account and what to do if the animal is dead on arrival? I promise no more questions....at least for today.
    Under Construction.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast