Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,795

2 members and 2,793 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Keyboard Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Handling Ball python

I've been told that BP's most of the time when held, usually chill out, and just lay on you. But I've handled mine a few times now, and it's not as if he's trying to escape, but he's always exploring and trying to get somewhere it seems like. When I first got him, he would wrap around my arms and just kinda chill out. But now he's always on the move. He seems really sensitive to body heat, like he'll touch his nose to my arm, and he'll jerk back, and won't go anywhere near my arm.

I know it probably sounds silly, but I'm just wondering if he's stressed out when I'm handling him, or if its normal for a juvenile?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    It's pretty normal for them to touch your arm hairs and pull back after doing so, they react strangely to hairs I suppose, lol.
    Most of my snakes will try to roam off and explore especially when I'm at the computer, the keyboard squeeze is a favorite exercise, snakes seem to really LOVE the keyboard.

He sounds like a typical ball python to me
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Most people say its normal for juveniles to be restless while being held.
    My 500g pied is a freak when being held, he is always stretched out, trying to find somewhere to explore or hide. My little 200g het pied girls are calm as can be and will just chill on my lap with im on the computer. They wont even ball up, they just seem comfy.
    So I think it just kinda depends on the snake in my opinion.
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Banana Pied Ball Python
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Handling Ball python

My male normal tends to want to explore when I have him out and am holding him. He eventually chills out and just hangs around my shoulders.

Thanks

i think it's cute how my mojo girl thinks she can get away from me during our handling sessions. i never let her get more then arms length away. i just let her cruise about that far and then right when she's thinking about bookin' it, i'm like "nope haha get back here."
    and she is aaaallll over the place...and me. she'll try to climb me for a little while before she gives up and just cruises around me trying to find a way INTO the couch.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Sounds like he is trying to escape, which is not a bad thing. I wouldn't say he's stressed being handled, but most snakes including bps don't "like" being handled, they tolerate it. It's not like a puppy that rolls over so you can rub it's tummy, they are just different critters and snakes don't necessarily like to be held, but they like being out of their glass/plastic box so they can plot their escape
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    Sounds like he is trying to escape, which is not a bad thing. I wouldn't say he's stressed being handled, but most snakes including bps don't "like" being handled, they tolerate it.
    I think this is up to the individual ball python.
    I have numerous snakes that will insist on being held by coming out of the tubs on their own and right into my arms, it's pretty obvious that they more than just tolerate being held.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    I have numerous snakes that will insist on being held by coming out of the tubs on their own and right into my arms, it's pretty obvious that they more than just tolerate being held.
    Well what we interpret as "liking" may not necessarily be them liking it. I've looked into scientific studies of this stuff and keep coming up empty handed unfortunately. I'd LOVE to see proof that they are capable of those emotions because I find it fascinating, and I like to think my snakes enjoy my company and enjoy being held and feel more than just "trust" towards me, but I haven't seen any of the scientific proof behind it, which is why at this point I said "I think" they just tolerate it, or trust us, or know our scent. Whatever it may be, I wish the studies were readily available like the stuff on cats and dogs.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Swingline0.0.1 (05-06-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    I'm inclined to disagree with the majority of our community and instead agree with you. I'd say less than 10% of my balls are like this, but the behavior is undeniably there.

My favorite BP is my little 500g axanthic girl and she loves being out and absolutely refuses to get off of me to go back in her tub

Thanks
    The act of coming out and insisting on being held is all the proof I need that they enjoy being held
    I don't believe a snake that just tolerates us would do that.
    Jerry Robertson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast