Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,107

3 members and 3,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Cricket setup sounding okay to you?

So... my first experience with crickets lol. I may have forgotten to mention that I abhor crickets XD So anyhow, the way I was told to set them up is in a little KK which I already have, with some egg carton, rolled oats in the bottom of the carrier, a slice of orange (though I think I'm going to go with apple or potato because I've heard orange for some reason isn't that good?) and a water bottle cap filled with Fluker's cricket diet.

Any improvements I could make?
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Re: Cricket setup sounding okay to you?

It sounds fine for a KK depending on how many crickets are you keeping. I used to use KK until I got so many lizards it wasn't feasible. I go thru 2000 crickets a week so I needed something different. I'm very grateful for my local reptile store that orders them for me and I can just pick them up with no shipping cost-I get them for .02 ea

I have a 10gal tank (mesh top) that I use now. It's actually a lot easier than a KK for me. I have the tubes from the KK that I angle in the tank (6 of them). I stagger/stack as much egg carton pieces in the center as I can fit to give them a layered area. I use the packaged cricket food/water source but would use potatoes if I had to pick something fresh.

You'll laugh but the best calcium coater for crickets to me I discovered by accident. I had an extra rubbermaid spaghetti storage tube that I just happened to see in a new way one day. It's perfect for calcium coating! Now if I can just keep my smaller lizards from jumping into the tube when I try to toss the crickets in we'll be doing good..heh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Juliemay13 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (05-05-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juliemay13 View Post
    It sounds fine for a KK depending on how many crickets are you keeping. I used to use KK until I got so many lizards it wasn't feasible. I go thru 2000 crickets a week so I needed something different. I'm very grateful for my local reptile store that orders them for me and I can just pick them up with no shipping cost-I get them for .02 ea

I have a 10gal tank (mesh top) that I use now. It's actually a lot easier than a KK for me. I have the tubes from the KK that I angle in the tank (6 of them). I stagger/stack as much egg carton pieces in the center as I can fit to give them a layered area. I use the packaged cricket food/water source but would use potatoes if I had to pick something fresh.

You'll laugh but the best calcium coater for crickets to me I discovered by accident. I had an extra rubbermaid spaghetti storage tube that I just happened to see in a new way one day. It's perfect for calcium coating! Now if I can just keep my smaller lizards from jumping into the tube when I try to toss the crickets in we'll be doing good..heh
    Haha awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah, I really won't be keeping that many crickets, just about a dozen, and probably only for a couple days. Haha I'd near pay to watch a lizard try to jump into a cricket tube XD
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    Haha awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah, I really won't be keeping that many crickets, just about a dozen, and probably only for a couple days. Haha I'd near pay to watch a lizard try to jump into a cricket tube XD
    Hahaha, oh it's priceless! I have one that does it without fail-it's hysterical If I can get a video of it I'll try to put it up on here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juliemay13 View Post
    Hahaha, oh it's priceless! I have one that does it without fail-it's hysterical If I can get a video of it I'll try to put it up on here.
    Please do!
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yea if you are just trying to keep a few crickets for a week or two that sounds good, real simple, they need something to hide in, something to eat, something to drink, if you have cats or dogs you can also crush up some of their food if your in a pinch. Also make sure they don't get too cold or too hot but you have the basic set up correct

8. The Following User Says Thank You to azmodane For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (07-11-2011)

Thanks
    I HATE crickets. Have you thought about Dubias? Much better food and easier to keep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azmodane View Post
    Yea if you are just trying to keep a few crickets for a week or two that sounds good, real simple, they need something to hide in, something to eat, something to drink, if you have cats or dogs you can also crush up some of their food if your in a pinch. Also make sure they don't get too cold or too hot but you have the basic set up correct
    Cool, thanks for the info! I didn't know I could use cat food, good to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I HATE crickets. Have you thought about Dubias? Much better food and easier to keep.
    I loathe crickets too, but they're the easiest. Apparently roaches are illegal in Canada, so I'll just have to live with crickets.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts