Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,464

1 members and 1,463 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: ASFS on cedar

Thanks

ASFS on cedar

Does anyone know if it is safe to keep ASFS on cedar shavings to use as feeders?
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Pastel 0.1 Pastel Het Orange Ghost 1.1 Spider 0.1 Pinstripe 1.1 Orange Ghost 0.3 Normals 0.1 Chocolate Lesser 1.4 Lessers 0.1 Het Orange Ghost 1.1 Fire 0.2 Het Red Axanthic 1.2 Lesser Het Red Axanthic 0.1 Fire Het Red Axanthic 1.0 Black Pastel 1.0 Yellow Belly 0.1 Bumblebee 0.1 Genitic Banded 1.0 Enchi

Corn Snakes 0.1 Pink Snow

Crested Geckos 1.0 Red Harlequin 0.1 Chocolate Harlequin 0.1 Red Flame 0.1 Flame

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Nope. I don't use, or even sell cedar in my store.

Thanks
    No, cedar is harmful to their respiratory systems.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: ASFS on cedar

I never dismiss anything anymore until I try it for myself.

A good example is using pine as a substrate for my snakes. I had heard from so many different sources that you can NEVER keep snakes on pine, that I just assumed it to be a fact.... that was until a breeder friend of mine (who has been keeping and breeding snakes for a living longer then I have been alive) told me that it was bullcrap, and that he had been keeping his snakes on pine since the beginning of time without issue.

If you have a bag of cedar shavings I say try it out. Obviously if the rats start having issues, then change to something else. The only one that can tell you for certain what will work for YOU and YOUR rats is YOU!

Mikey
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks
    A lot of the info on pine and cedar is wrong, or misinterpreted (as in, it's really not as bad as some people would say). But cedar shavings do have a strong smell, and breathing that does cause respiratory illnesses.

A little sprinkle in a cage usually won't hurt though, and it does make the cages smell better and keeps mites away.

Thanks

Re: ASFS on cedar

Cedar is known to cause severe respiratory distress through experiences posted on multiple rat/mouse/small animal forums, not just rumor. Pine and other softwoods are similar, due to the aromatic phenols/oils in the wood, but is generally a much slower process and tends to affect animals like rats with weakened immune systems (E.g stress or cramped quarters).

Again, not rumors, but through actual experiences with rodent owners and breeders. True, ASFs are different from a typical mouse or rat that are more common, but why risk raising a colony and having it die or become ill when you could use something like aspen that is just as cheap, and perfectly safe? Don't like the smell of rodents... use baking soda. Really really like the smell of cedar? Use it in another part of the room, not as bedding for them to root around in close contact.

Just my thoughts. A little preachy, sorry. I prefer the cautious route when it comes to the health and safety of my animals, or their food.