Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

2 members and 2,954 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Woman Cited After School Complains About Python In Tree

COOLVILLE, Ohio — An Athens County woman faces charges after administrators at a nearby elementary school complained that her pet Burmese python posed a threat to students, but she defended the animal on Wednesday, saying there was no need for concern.

Lisa Reynolds was in the front yard of her home earlier this week with her pet, a 2-year-old python named Willy, when Athens County deputies arrived and cited her for persistent disorderly conduct, 10TV's Ashleigh Barry reported.

The python is an exotic animal, but there is no state law banning it from being kept as a pet. Reynolds said complaints about the 4-foot-long snake were not new.

"Every time they think he's out here somebody calls and has a concern that their child is going to get eaten," Reynolds said.

This time the complaint came from administrators at Federal Hocking Elementary School. They were concerned because the snake was wrapped around a tree, which is right next to the school, Barry reported.

Reynolds said she takes the snake outside so that it can get fresh air and exercise. Putting the animal in the tree helps with the shedding process, she said.

"It's not like I had him wrapped around my neck and I was walking through the school," Reynolds said.

Reynolds said the snake was not a threat, and she said she was right next to the tree when deputies arrived. Even so, she was cited because she "recklessly caused inconvenience or alarm to others," Barry reported.

Reynolds said she planned to fight the citation in court on Thursday.

"He is in his tree, on my property, so there should be no problem," she said.

Phone calls seeking comment from the elementary school principal were not returned on Wednesday, Barry reported.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.
    http://www.10tv.com/live/content/loc...l.html?sid=102
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Thanks
    And this is why none of my neighbors has ever seen my snakes or the several hundred rats in my garage. I really hate people sometimes.

Even if there wasn't an elementary school like 200 feet from my house, someone would find an excuse.

Thanks

Re: Woman Cited After School Complains About Python In Tree

While I think the woman is an idiot, I also think she has every right to have her pet anywhere on her property. As long as he is being supervised. The teachers should have used this as a learning experience.

Hopefully she wins the argument. I think it would be a positive step for us.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    While I think the woman is an idiot, I also think she has every right to have her pet anywhere on her property. As long as he is being supervised. The teachers should have used this as a learning experience.

Hopefully she wins the argument. I think it would be a positive step for us.
    A cat can and would scratch and bite people. A dog can and would bite, maul, or even kill people. But they are the sacred animals in western redneck culture, so they are OK. They make noise pollution, spread disease with their feces, and destroy the ecosystem - do you know how many animals are endangered because people let their cats outside? But people object to my little ball python, even refuse to come into my house, despite the fact he's locked in an aquarium, not running around the house like their much more aggressive and dangerous cats and dogs, like the whole house is a barn. BPs don't even bite in self defense, and they couldn't kill anything larger than a gerbil. But, Disney movies and Hebrew mythology have convinced everyone that snakes are evil. It's really sad because snakes are such wonderful pets - and if you don't like them crawling on you, fine, you can look at them through the glass!

Even the wording - "exotic" - is biased. As if cats and dogs belong in our ecosystem! It's like when they used to call immigrants "ethnics", to imply that their culture was wrong and out of place.
    Last edited by MaxSmart; 04-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxSmart View Post
    A cat can and would scratch and bite people. A dog can and would bite, maul, or even kill people. But they are the sacred animals in western redneck culture, so they are OK. They make noise pollution, spread disease with their feces, and destroy the ecosystem - do you know how many animals are endangered because people let their cats outside? But people object to my little ball python, even refuse to come into my house, despite the fact he's locked in an aquarium, not running around the house like their much more aggressive and dangerous cats and dogs, like the whole house is a barn. BPs don't even bite in self defense, and they couldn't kill anything larger than a gerbil. But, Disney movies and Hebrew mythology have convinced everyone that snakes are evil. It's really sad because snakes are such wonderful pets - and if you don't like them crawling on you, fine, you can look at them through the glass!

Even the wording - "exotic" - is biased. As if cats and dogs belong in our ecosystem! It's like when they used to call immigrants "ethnics", to imply that their culture was wrong and out of place.
    Dude. Calm down. I totally agree with you, but we have to remember that some people have a phobia of snakes. Not a fear they can just get over, but a phobia.

I have my snakes out all the time when the weather is nice, but i am still cautious with the people around me. Hence, why I would never ever take my snakes to Walmart.

I have done fast food drive through windows, and once the cashier at subway forced me to bring one in and show her. That was a little awkward.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    My family and a few close friends know that I have mine but no one else. Saves me a lot of grief. It would be great to be able to show off my herps like one would a dog but its not very realistic. It tics me off when someone's at the mall or grocery store with their snake for the 'wow' factor. Too many people see them as creepy and scary and I hate for everyone to think that all herp owners are juvenile and irresponsible. I think this lady could have been spared some trouble if she had practiced discretion. Next to a school- they would pitch a fit over a dog- so a snake would be a big target.
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxSmart View Post

I can't count the number of times people ask if its safe to have a snake with my son or my other pets. Like a ball python can eat a two year old. Do they think so little of me that I would have something dangerous just lying around? A whole lot of ignorance...
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks

the ignorance really bothers me too but so far i've only encountered it from 1 child in my neighborhood when my daughter brought her over to see my female mojo.
    i had the snake out for a handling session and this girl immediately went right into the story about a florida family's pet python that killed their little girl...
    i was like
    "ok. this snake is NOT going to get big enough to do anything like that and there's more to THAT story then you know."
    i explained the difference between my python and that "killer snake" in florida (4-5 ft ball python vs. the 10-20 ft burmese). once i got that cleared up she relaxed a little.
    my bf's dad has asked me how the snake was doing and followed that with a "what does it eat?"
    i couldnt resist answering him with a "she eats small kids." response.
    thank heavens he realized i was joking and i told him i feed her small rats.
    but back to the topic at hand...
    i make a point NOT to discuss my snake with anyone who doesnt already know about it and who hasnt asked me anything about it. this way i only have to answer the questions i'm asked and i avoid the whole "that snake is gonna eat your kids!" fiasco.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Anyone else notice the fact that the snake in question is supposedly 2 years old, a burm, and only 4 feet long? Just sayin'. That is a little on the small side.
    On the other hand, I do agree that she should have used a little discretion. There are laws in our area (for people who live in town) that you can not have snakes if you live 500 feet within another property or within 5 lots of a church. Luckily, I live out in the sticks, but still, kind of rediculous.
    I am also someone who does not make a habit of spreading the word that I have snakes. Very few people have come over and actually seen them. In fact, if they didn't know I had them when they came over, they wouldn't even know that they are there.

Thanks
    Coolville?? more like Lameville..... haha, stupid joke.

So does that mean I can call the police every time I see someone with their dog outside if I claim to be inconvenienced and alarmed?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to garweft For This Useful Post:

hoax (05-10-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast