Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

0 members and 3,162 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

exploding f/t mouse!

Ok... couple of questions. Squeezer went for a mouse tonight, and when he constricted the guts blew out of it. It was pretty gnarly, but what concerned me was the aspen bedding getting stuck on the innards. I did my best to pick off the shavings as he was eating, but he definitely did not want to let go. Luckily he was trying to eat it backwards so when he spit it out to re-grip I snatched it away... I will try again in a couple of days. 2 questions how terrible would it have been if he swallowed some of the aspen, and how bad is it to swallow backwards?

I know newspaper or paper towels would be better but everybody sees the viv... and I'd like it to look as nice as possible while being safe.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: exploding f/t mouse!

Hi,

Sounds like you either over heated the mouse while thawing or thawed it for too long or it had previously gotten defrosted then re-frozen.

Basically if you start with good quality mice and thaw them right they really shouldn't explode.

dr del
    Last edited by dr del; 04-25-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling is for woosies
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

It won't hurt him to ingest a few aspen shavings. Their bodies can easily handle stuff like that. In the wild, they must accidentally ingest all sorts of dirt and leaves and twigs and grasses and junk.

Eating it backwards isn't going to hurt him either...it'll just take longer. Worst case scenario would be that he'd get frustrated and just give up and abandon the meal. Wouldn't hurt him.

I've had an exploding rodent...it's disgusting beyond measure. My snake ate it anyway...but then I had to scrub guts off the water bowl, which seemed to have cemented onto the surface in a matter of minutes!
    -- Judy

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I see f/t mice do that when they're overheated. Another reason to feed in a cardboard box if you're using a tank that you want to look nice when company comes over, I guess. (Also mouse guts STINK.)

Generally if I think I've over-warmed a mouse, I hold in my hand for about 10 seconds, squeezing it just a little. If it starts to feel uncomfortably warm in my hand, it's probably too warm for my snake to be swallowing, and it'll probably explode. I usually throw those out and start over with new ones.

Thanks
    Thanks for the quick replys... I figured it would be ok... I worry a lot...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Just a note, it seems to work better if you take your time thawing. I usually use 100 degree water for 15 minutes, then change it with new water, and repeat 3 or 4 times until I can pull the rodent out and temp gun it at 100 degree or so.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    I thought I was doing ok... thawed at room temp for 2 hrs... then 10-20 seconds under the heater... maybe that was too long

Thanks
    I thaw mine under a heat lamp they never explode. hmm.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hmmm,

Quote Originally Posted by J-Crash View Post
    I thought I was doing ok... thawed at room temp for 2 hrs... then 10-20 seconds under the heater... maybe that was too long
    That doesn't sound bad at all. I tend to thaw good sized mice for 3-4 hours on a thermostated heat mat without any problems.

Did it stink? What condition was it in before you defrosted it?

I'm wondering if they were partially defrosted then refrozen before you got them.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hmmm,

That doesn't sound bad at all. I tend to thaw good sized mice for 3-4 hours on a thermostated heat mat without any problems.

Did it stink? What condition was it in before you defrosted it?

I'm wondering if they were partially defrosted then refrozen before you got them.

dr del
    It didn't stink... it was the last if 3 that I bought at the local shoot... I had no problems with the other two. It was being constricted when it burst though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast