Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,846

2 members and 2,844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Jon Jones Injured; Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis Booked for UFC 133

4/25/2011 1:31 PM ET By Mike Chiappetta

The grudge match will have to wait. So will Jon Jones' first title defense.

A hand injury has knocked the new UFC light-heavyweight champion out of action for the time being, leaving the UFC without a main event for its upcoming return to Philadelphia in August. As a result, the promotion has booked a fight pitting Jones' scheduled opponent Rashad Evans against rising star Phil Davis.

The UFC 133 fight was confirmed by the UFC on Monday morning. It was first reported by the Canadian Press.

The full extent of Jones' injury and his rehabilitation time is not yet known, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, though it is believed to be a torn ligament. The uncertain timetable was a key factor in the change.

Evans (15-1-1) has not fought since last May when he defeated Quinton "Rampage" Jackson via unanimous decision. Afterward, he was supposed to fight Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, choosing to wait for Rua to recover from knee surgery to fight him. As Rua neared healthy though, Evans suffered an injury of his own. He was replaced in the fight by Jon Jones, who knocked out Rua to become the youngest UFC champion ever.

As members of Team Greg Jackson, Evans and Jones had originally promised never to face each other, but that bond fractured even before Jones won the belt. In the weeks since, Evans left his longtime camp of Team Jackson and the two have traded barbs online.

The friendship turned into a grudge match, but Jones' injury will sideline it at least for the time being. The UFC has yet to announce whether Davis would become the No. 1 contender with a win over Evans.

The unbeaten Davis is 9-0, and most recently defeated Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via unanimous decision at a Fight Night event in March.

UFC 133 takes place on August 6 at the Wells Fargo Center.
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    I wonder a lot more about these "feuds" that pop up over MMA matches now. It's hard to believe that Evans and Jones are really upset with each other because they have to fight now. I'm pretty sure it's just for publicity but in a lot of ways I wish they would stop it. Most of these guys are life long martial artists. They have a lot of respect for their opponents. No manufactured grudge match necessary, just give us an awesome fight.

More on topic, I'm bummed Jones is injured. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    I'm 99.9% sure the "feud" is manufactured by the marketing group.. Jones is not the kind of guy to buy into trivial silliness like that.

Sad that jones got hurt, he was a beast against Shogun and I was excited to see what someone who has trained with him might have in the tool belt. Still, Evans/Davis will be neat! Here's wishing Jones a speedy recovery to 110%