Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,707

2 members and 2,705 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I don't know what went wrong...

Posted this two days ago on CS.com, and finally feel like posting it elsewhere. And yeah, she was a corn snake for anyone who's not into the colubrid snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 days ago
    A few minutes ago I decided to do a check on all my snakes (excluding the 20 gallon tank since Apotos is currently MIA) because of a weird smell that was making both my mom and I think, "Smells like something crawled in somewhere and died," and found my big okeetee girl dead. She threw up the last meal she had, too. I don't get it... she was an extremely strong feeder and perfectly healthy just three days ago...

When I first knelt down to where her bin is kept I noticed a stronger smell, but that's where the rats are too, so I didn't think much of it. Opened the lid and saw her tail sticking out of her favorite log hide, and since I'd just turned the light on, still didn't think too much though I thought it was weird I didn't she her jerk a bit at the lid opening. Then I noticed the regurged rat by her upper body sticking out of the other end of the log. 'Why hasn't she moved?'

Then I moved the box in front of her and saw her sunken and dried out face. I don't even know what to do with her body. It's already started decaying and I don't even want to be in this room. It feels so stupid to be crying so hard over a snake, but I can't stop. I've had her for a year and five days.

I can't think of anything wrong I could have done that would cause anything to keel over dead. She was a bit weird in the sense that she was something like 34 inches long but only about as thick as two pencils tied together.

I do remember that not long ago there was an instance where the lower 1/4 of her body or so was plugged up with rat fur so much she was a little squishy and made me wonder if she was pulling a BP trick and ovulating with lots of swelling. My theory is that she got plugged up with fur for some reason, got an impaction, and her last meal aggravated that or maybe even made her gut burst. Or maybe she just wasn't supposed to live a full life.

Here's some more photos I felt good enough to post earlier today.

This was the last picture I took for weighing her. About a month ago.

This was one of the better ones I got that everyone seemed to like.

One of her usual character shots. She did this whenever I was taking a while to give her a rat or when she wanted more. Usually she got more. :p

First one is another good character shot. Both of these last two were taken a day of the fondest memory I had. I was sorting and culling rat pups, and Daemon wouldn't eat, and Apotos only wanted one, but Lotem was unusually hungry that day and was just pounding them left and right. I think she ended up getting four rats that weren't quite up to size for her. She'd curled up on a box on one of the rat bins and kept poking her head out when she wanted another in the funniest or cutest way she could.

I guess it's like someone said: she probably had a really good year with me. I can see her in snakey heaven telling all the other corns, "Yeah, that's right, I got RATS every week, suckas!"

I think my main regret will end up being that I didn't get a chance to breed her at all. She had such a wonderful personality and seemed to have unique coloration for okeetees. Either they're a line bred, or are mucky looking.

Now I'm just waiting for the ground to thaw before taking her out of the freezer to be buried where some orangey marigolds grow every year.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I don't know what went wrong...

So sorry for your loss - she was a very pretty girl!

Thanks
    I'm sorry, she was a beauty.

Thanks

I'm very sorry for your loss-she was a beautiful snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's so sad Sorry for your loss.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    So sorry for your loss. She was a really pretty snake.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

Thanks
    So sorry to hear.....I love corns and she was a beauty!!! I especially like the one of her peeking out of the box
    "There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination....

Thanks
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I can see it must be hard to know exactly what went wrong.
    1.0 coral glow BP
    1.0 leuchistic blue eyed BP

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for you loss....
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks

Awwww, I am so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful snake and she had the cutest face! I love the third picture where she's looking up at the camera and it looks like she's smiling. Soooo adorable.
    (If you want to be cool, taken seriously and accepted on reptile forums, insert the same X.X or X.X.X signature that everyone else has here.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast