Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,790

4 members and 2,786 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    selcouthkat

Possible Belly Rot?

I need help in determining the diagnosis for what is occurring on my male ball python's belly.

[Photobucket images no longer work]

The temperature in my glass tank is normal, and actually I've been misting keep the humidity up. There are a two under tank heaters, but there is a layer of news print and the substrate that his separating his belly from it. He hasn't eaten for me for about a month. His scales are very wrinkled with two that are blistered. The pink is because he is about to shed.

I'm very worried about my baby. Any advice would be greatly appreciated-- if I need to take him to a herp vet asap, then I will not hesitate if need be.
    Last edited by mlededee; 08-29-2022 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks
    Looks like it. You were probably misting too much. Scale rot can be fatal untreated so definitely go to the vet.
    5.5 SNAKES
    ------------------------------
    2.1 Corn Snakes
    1.2 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Honduran Milk Snake
    1.1 California Kingsnakes
    1.0 Western Hog

Thanks
    I also noticed you mentioned two UTHs. Are they regulated? This can be a burn. They get too hot.
    5.5 SNAKES
    2.1 Corn Snakes
    1.2 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Honduran Milk Snake
    1.0 Western Hog

selcouthkat

Re: Possible Belly Rot?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyYoshi View Post
    I also noticed you mentioned two UTHs. Are they regulated? This can be a burn. They get too hot.
    I keep a newsprint layer with a substrate layer to separate his stomach from having direct contact on the bottom of the glass to prevent harm. Should I still get a regulator though? I also keep a light overhead on the outside of the cage on the warm end.

Thanks

I keep a newsprint layer with a substrate layer to separate his stomach from having direct contact on the bottom of the glass to prevent harm. Should I still get a regulator though? I also keep a light overhead on the outside of the cage on the warm end.
    You still need to regulate the temps, they can a will get too hot. Looks like rot to me though. Were mine I would take him to the vet and get those UTH's on a t-stat or at least a dimmer.
    Last edited by mlededee; 08-29-2022 at 06:34 PM.
    Nothing

Thanks
    You need a regulator. They are the ZooMed kind, aren't they? Unplug them. They are cooking your snake. The heat lamp will be sufficient until you get a regulator.
    5.5 SNAKES
    2.1 Corn Snakes
    1.2 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Honduran Milk Snake
    1.0 Western Hog

selcouthkat

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyYoshi View Post
    You need a regulator. They are the ZooMed kind, aren't they? Unplug them. They are cooking your snake. The heat lamp will be sufficient until you get a regulator.
    Ack! Unplugged them-- will look into a regulator. First things first, will take my snake tomorrow to a vet. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

Thanks
    Yea scale rot.. And u dont have to mist so much.I do 1-2 a day and not even alot at that. Too much Moisture can cause scale rot. I would suggest less misting and yeas get a Dimmer or t-stat.. Dimmers r like 10$ each at home depot

Thanks
    For future use: I hope you got him to the vet. Although even for a slightly severe case my vet has always told me to do the same. Betadyne dilute bath 1x daily, put on newspaper or paper towel. Keep as dry as possible, and change the np or pt daily. I've dealt with a few scale rot cases with the rescues I take in. Including one right now that is one of the more severe cases. Antibiotics are only prescribed if there is no other option. They are pretty harsh on the system, and My vet likes to avoid using them if not absolutely needed. Mouth rot and scale rot is bacterial, or fungus and the treatment is the same for both, betadyne. I have a bottle of this handy at all times. That way you don't wait until it gets severe and you do end up needing abos. If you have more the 1 snake having a few select human things in your medicine cabinet really prevent against issues from becoming huge medical emergencies.