Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,455

0 members and 3,455 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Are you still using aspen as a substrate? If humidity is an issue, you might consider switching to a more humidity-friendly bedding. I use cypress mulch for my snakes. It holds humidity well and is resistant to mold.

Thanks
    well right now im using a cardboard with holes in it to cover the tank, while the screen the tank came with dries (It was chrome colored and i painted it black yesterday) the black trim paint i used says it takes 48 hours before it fully hardens so it wont go on until tommorrow. I will say using that piece of cardboard with holes in it had kept the humidity perfect, after i spray the tank down it goes to about 70 percent and it takes about 9 hours before it goes to 50.

When the screen goes back on im going to try using a medium black towel to cover the half of the screen top, and i will keep it wet, i seen a few people use this trick and has worked well for them. If that does not work i will use a piece of plexi glass (like rperry03 pics). Either way i atleast know where to go as far as solving the humidity issue. I have to work all day tommorow so monday will be the day i attempt the third feeding, crossing my fingers, i think if he eats i will be the happiest person in the world.

Thanks
    The towel will work. Wetting it will up the humidity in the room though not the tank. Give him a couple good sprays through out the day and cover the screen as much as possible.

Thanks
    if god is good, and he does end up eating when i try to feed him again on monday, do you think that he will be less agressive if i try and handle him a few days after he feeds? i havent really put my face up against the glass or fingers since a couple of days ago when he started showing agression.

Thanks
    He wasn't being aggressive he was being defensive. Since he's a baby and coming off of a huge stress bender. I would have him eat at least 3 consecutive meals. Yes thats 3 weeks! I always give little ones way more time to settle in. They stress so much more easily. Then after the good schedule of meals can you slowly start handling. Something we forget as humans is any reptile though they may tolerate us do not want playtime. There really is no need for it. Babies grow out of being defensive. But you are going to have to be VERY patient. You have all 20 something or more years with him. There's plenty of time for handling later. Get him eating regularly and try not to meddle too much with him. That tends to make things worse.

Thanks

Re: just got a baby ball python, did i do something wrong......

Just a bit of an observation. Even though you haven't been handling him; it sure seems like you have been doing a lot of messing around with his enclosure. Ie -- scaring him when you mist, putting cardboard on the top, taking off the cover and painting it, covering the sides. I would say all of this is definitely stressing him.

Having his humidity out of whack for a week or two really isn't going to have adverse effects in the long term scheme. The main thing is that he has a fresh bowl of water (and if the bowl is big enough you should only have to fill that once a week), and that the temps are acceptable. I would just chill out with all of the rest of the stuff until he gets a meal or two in. All of this other activity is just as stressful as handling him.

I know it's tough, but just take a deep breath and calm down. Try to do absolutely nothing but monitor temps for a week and then see if he eats.

And BTW -- he isn't scared by the sound of the spay bottle -- since he can't hear. He probably doensn't like the water being sprayed on/by him, and it is probably cold to him.

Good luck!
    George

My Collection:

1.1 Normal Python Regius (Cleveland & Betty White)
    1.0 Spider Python Regius (Peter Parker)
    1.1 Canis Lupus Familiaris -- Pug (Guster & Guinness)

Thanks
    Those are great points. As I said sometimes meddling is even worse. Give him some time Frankie, low stress, don't do some things just to see how he'll react. Like dangling the mouse or pressing your hands up to the glass. Water should be nice and hot when you put it into the spray bottle. It will come out of the sprayer as a nice warm mist.

Thanks
    its been 6 days since last feeding attempt, and i was going to try again today, but given all thats been going on and moving the tank around and doing modifications and what not, im wondering if i should give him more time? Right now, since yesterday, hes just been keeping half his head outside of his cold side hide. Temps and humidity been fine. What should i do, should i try again or give him more time?

Thanks
    If it were me, I'd give him a full week of no handling, no cleaning and no messing with the enclosure. Provide fresh water, of course but otherwise leave him alone and let him get comfortable in his new home.

Thanks
    i can do that, except i mean, is it not a interruption when i spray down the tank three times a day? also to keep water in the bowl i still have to take the screen out, and pour the water in the bowl, and when i do either of these things he runs back in his hide, so i mean, unless i dont spray the tank down to keep the humidity at atleast 50% and refill his bowl every 3-4 days, there is no way i can go a week without some sort of interruption...?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast