Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

1 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Lions, Tigers and 16ft Gaboons, Oh my!

Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Pathetic

Thanks

Re: Lions, Tigers and 16ft Gaboons, Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNBecky View Post
    Pathetic
    x2
    Mike

Thanks

I was going to say this as a comment on their website, but decided against it cuz I don't want to get into a flame war with some of the uneducated people who commented on that site (many of which made me mad). But I wanted to vent my frustration somewhere so here it is:

I don't own any big cats or anything (and for the record I don't agree with keeping big cats, bears, or some venomous snakes as pets but that's just my opinion and I don't plan on doing anything about it..."live and let live" I say), but my reptiles are just as friendly as my cats and dog, including my Jungle Carpet Python. They are misunderstood animals that aren't given a chance because of these factors: 1.) People fearing the animals and refuse to even learn more about them 2.) the media playing into these fears 3.) the few exotic pet keepers who are neglectful to the animals and the animals then behave more stereotypical. It's all about proper education. What I mean by that is just showing people that many of the animals deemed "dangerous" because it's exotic simply isn't true. Take the Ball Python, for example: it's a python, so it's gonna be big and a killer, right? WRONG, they're one of the smallest pythons (3 1/2-4 ft) that are easily handled and prefer not to bite unless it's hurt. I bring my snakes and lizards to schools and educate the kids on proper care and just simply show them first hand that not all reptiles are even remotely dangerous and can be good pets if kept responsibly. Same with dogs and cats; if taken care of responsibly, they are great pets but if mistreated they can get aggressive; it's not the animals fault whether it's domesticated or not, but the individual keeping it. Should all exotics be kept as pets? NO! Should all exotics be banned as pets? NO! Responsibility and education is what it takes to take care of any animal, whether it be a dog, cat, fish, lizard, spider, or snake. It's the responsibility of the majority of good pet keepers (notice I didn't single out exotic pet keepers but ALL animal owners in general) to teach the public on proper care of the animals we love so much from our own personal experiences with a given species. That is something, sadly, that the pet industry is lacking these days, which causes such chaos like what we have right now especially in the exotic industry.

OK, off my soap box.
    Last edited by King-Godzilla; 03-26-2011 at 08:31 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Should all exotics be kept as pets? NO! Should all exotics be banned as pets? NO!
    Can you clarify these two statements? I am slightly confused by them for they seem to be contradictory.
    Specialty Serpents

Thanks

what it means.

What hes saying is that some exotics ( i.e. chimps bears big cats) arent meant to be pets but that we shouldn't ban all of them

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ok, My position is this: Provided that the proper caging/housing, handling, and safety protocols are practiced and in place, as well as the proper training and experience, private individuals should be permitted the right to keep and work with the animals of their choice whether they be dogs, cats, venomous reptiles, big cats, or ball pythons.

Just keep in mind, United we Stand, Divided we Fall.
    Specialty Serpents

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ER12 For This Useful Post:

jason79 (03-27-2011),Wh00h0069 (04-14-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King-Godzilla View Post
    3.) the few exotic pet keepers who are neglectful to the animals and the animals then behave more stereotypical. It's all about proper education.
    It only takes a few to ruin it for all and it is the uneducated who do the most damage. Personally I don't mind being required to get a permit to own an exotic animal if it will keep these animals out of the hands of people who don't understand them.

I think another problem with people own exotic animals is that they forget that they are wild. You are not going to develop a magical speical bond that will protect you. These animals will bite/attack if you forget for one moment that they are wild animals. I'm willing to admit that the first time I was bit by my ball python was because I got too comfortable with her and failed to properly paying attention to how she was feeling as I was holding her. It was my fault that I got bit and I know that. Sadly in cases where people make mistakes with larger animals such as the case of the large snake getting out and attacking the child or cases where large cats turn on their owners are not shown in the proper light. It was a mistake of the owner NOT the animal, but it's almost always the animal that pays the price in the end.

People should be allowed to own exotic animals provided they can care for them properly and know what they are doing. It never seems to me like the "other side" never considers who should be allowed to own exotic animals just that they don't want anyone to own them and that doesn't sit right with me.

Thanks
    I work at an animal shelter trying to undo the damage people do to "domestic" pets. The news has nothing better to do than blame animals for poor owners. Exotic or domestic people who should not own animals are the problem. like the story said 20 billion dollar industry, when has the government ever tried to stop the flow of money.
    iHerp profile
    Check out my reptiles on the iherp link above or FB below
    Rhacosaurus Gex

Thanks
    I'd like to know what kind of prey that 16 foot gaboon is taking.

I'd like to offer it to my snakes.

I seriously have no desire to keep venomous. But it's a shame that a few idjits go and mess things up for the folks who do keep them and do so in a responsible manner.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast