Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 848

0 members and 848 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: RIP Kinkers

Thanks

RIP Kinkers

This is very, very difficult post. I find myself almost breaking down into tears again trying to get it out.

She actually passed last Sunday and I haven't been able to bring myself to speak of it much, it simply hurts too badly. I sobbed for about an hour when the decision was made to put her down, and couldn't stop holding her. I would start to release her, and bring her back, crying harder.

She went off her feed last November, a normality for her and not particularly troublesome---she usually fasted during the winter. I periodically offered, and she refused. We had a long winter, so I wasn't too bothered, especially as she was keeping on weight, still drinking, pooing... she was moving slower than normal, and didn't want to coil the real portion of her body at all, but Kinkers has always been somewhat of an oddity when it came to that (she was a side-sleeper!)

Come February, I did start worrying, because let's face it, that's a LONG time without food, and she was really starting to show sign of increased lethargy. Took her to the vet, they couldn't find anything wrong, and told me she was probably still in her winter fast.

Last month she started going downhill quickly. Still wouldn't eat, wasn't moving well, drastic weight loss; took her to the vet, tried force feeding, and they still didn't know what was wrong. She was suffering, I knew she was suffering, you could see it and it was awful. She went into blue and I waited for her to shed out---she had yet to experience any issues with shedding. When the day came, however, that she couldn't shed by herself and didn't even make the effort, I made the very difficult decision to have her put to sleep.

The vet thinks---and I agree---that she was simply done in. Her body had been badly deformed her entire life, and she had always had her own little foilbles (whistling when she breathed, sleeping on her side, afraid of heights and tying herself into knots when you picked her up). I'm not even sure how old she was; I got her as a full grown adult and the person who sent her to me had rescued her as a full grown adult.

I do know that I had her in my life for almost six wonderful years. She is one of two pets I have been able to keep throughout all the changes in my life during those years (the other is my cat). We made so many moves together that I lost count---seven maybe?---and she never once complained, nor had any issues. She was the sweetest thing ever, a true example of what an amazing pet these creatures can be. I took her to some disability classes in college to speak on animal disabilities. I took her to a few events where children could see her and I could teach them about snakes and how to care for them.

I love her so much, and it sucks because she's gone. There's a void in my life now, and I'm not sure how to fill it.

If you pray, pray for her. If you don't, simply remember her. I know I always will.

Two of my very last pics with her:

Thanks
    I'm so sorry for your loss.......I do pray and will keep you and her in my prayers
    "There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: RIP Kinkers

So terribly sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers and Kinkers is in a better place now where she will not have to suffer anymore.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    She is beautiful............it will get easier over time.
    She will always be in your heart and soul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing a friend is always hard. :'(
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    I'm so sorry.
    We never really can fill the void, but over time, we get used to it being there.
    She's a beautiful snake, a good friend of yours, and she lives on in your memories and more importantly your heart.
    I'm sure putting her down, though a hard decision, was best for her, and you probably saved her much suffering in the long wrong.
    You did the best you could, and she knows--she will always know.
    I am sorry, once again, for your loss.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    I'm so sorry for your loss... She fought the good fight, and had a wonderful life with you, I'm sure.

You loved her the best way you knew how, and I'm sure Kinkers loved you back. It's a sad time, but in an odd way, it warms my heart. Reading memoirs and stories such as these brings about a satisfying reminder that there ARE people who can love animals such as these - and not just because Kinkers had her disabilities. But snakes in general. Other communities can debate it all they like, but we know there is love to be found in snakes, and all reptiles.

Rest in peace, Kinkers.
    Last edited by Moofins07; 04-12-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Thanks
    i'm very sorry to hear about Kinkers... She's in a better place now
    may she rest in peace! My thoughts are with you in this time.

She was a very beautiful boa!