Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,852

2 members and 2,850 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

thermoregulation question???

ok so i noticed last night that my BP decided to sleep in his cool side hide box which is unusual for him during this time of year because it gets cooler at night... anyways, i held him just now for about 20 minutes and when i first picked him up he was freezing.... i mean not literally but he was cold to the touch. i thought that BP's were suppose to thermoregulate??? did he just not want to be in his hot side hide....

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would just double check to make sure your warm side is not too warm.
    You want the surface temperature on your warm side to be about 88-93 degrees and you cool side to be 78-83.
    If you don't have one already I would recommend a IR thermometer for measuring surface temperatures, such as:www.tempgun.com
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 04-05-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (04-05-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: thermoregulation question???

ok i just ordered my temp gun. lol but i do have his UTH on a thermostat and its set around 91ish... unless the thermostat is not accurate then it should be fine.... when i put him back i put him near his hot side, and he went in it, the minute he got in it he came back out and went right back to the cool side hide.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattramsfan View Post
    ok i just ordered my temp gun. lol but i do have his UTH on a thermostat and its set around 91ish... unless the thermostat is not accurate then it should be fine.... when i put him back i put him near his hot side, and he went in it, the minute he got in it he came back out and went right back to the cool side hide.
    If you've got your UTH run through a thermostat you are in good shape. It sounds like his fine, as long as long as his warm side and cool side are at the right temps he'll move around to whichever side he feels comfortable.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

that is kinda what worries me... its not like super cold outside here anymore but the temp does drop at night right now... i live in so cal... so the days are really nice but nights get a bit chilly. should i turn on his over head light on his cool side just to keep the temp up a bit... i am worried it gets too cold... and he is in my room right under my window

Thanks
    I honestly don't think the light is necessary. BP's don't care about the ambient temps of their enclosure, just the surface temps. Your UTH/thermostat combo should have no trouble keeping the surface of the warm side in the 88-93 range.

If your BP is feeling too cold, he'll just move over to the warm side. If you BP is spending most of his time on the cool side I don't think it's getting too cold, otherwise he definitely wouldn't be hanging out there.

Check out my Photoblog!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ok great. thank you for all of your help. i just want my Boy to be as happy and as healthy as he can be.... but to be on the safe side i ordered a temp gun anyways.... cant hurt. thanks again