Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

0 members and 3,158 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: explain the passion (not pc)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    See that is part of the issue. She was always on frozen and I swore I could never feed live. Then a few months ago that changed, she now absolutely will not touch frozen (she jerks away like a dead rat is repulsive). I broke down and started feeding live which is not only unpleasant but there is only 1 store that sells rats about 30 minutes away (when they have them), so it is make the drive every week or start keeping feeder rats here which I am doing but gosh darn they are so cute it is sad (I no longer live in Atlanta, old profile info, I live in a small town in middle GA).

Plus during her feeding issues I stopped handling her to reduce any stress. I can see how the breeders enjoy them, and the single college student types that want a quiet pet without a lot of upkeep. Maybe some think "display" snake sounds bad, I would just enjoy the beauty of seeing my snake instead of just seeing a little head pop out when hungry, then disappear for another week once she is fed.

I am thinking I will rehome her but I want her to have a stable long term home and not end up as a play toy to adolescent males down the road.
    It sounds like you went into things with the best intentions and are doing everything you can to give your snake a good home. I think that when you get a snake you should be prepared for the possibility of having to feed live. Feeding F/T certainly has benefits for the snake and the keeper but you are certainly not avoiding death. You only distance yourself from the death. This never made me feel any better. On top of knowing that the rodent was once alive and is now dead because I need to feed my snake, I have seen the breeding conditions of large facilities. Now I am not going to come on here and say that large facilities are cruel or inhumane. Rodents will live like that on their own if given the chance. I just personally feel good giving my feeders more room, cardboard to chew, paper towels to make nests. For me raising my own feeders makes me feel better about their death not worse. I hope you can find a good home for your BP. I would suggest getting a corn snake or similar colubrid if you decide to try again. They tend to be a bit more active and eat F/T a bit easier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Egapal View Post
    Now I am not going to come on here and say that large facilities are cruel or inhumane. Rodents will live like that on their own if given the chance. I just personally feel good giving my feeders more room, cardboard to chew, paper towels to make nests. For me raising my own feeders makes me feel better about their death not worse. I hope you can find a good home for your BP. I would suggest getting a corn snake or similar colubrid if you decide to try again. They tend to be a bit more active and eat F/T a bit easier.
    Yeah, the one pet store gets their feeders from a local reptile keeper that breeds their own and sends the extras to the store (they sell out quick). I set up the 3 current feeders in a little tank with a wooden house and give them a bowl full of veggies and some bread or pasta everyday which they seem to love (along with dog kibble). I tell myself at least they are enjoying some good last meals which they probably didn't receive before.

Another local guy has a 6' long tank with multiple hides and a single male. He has had his BP for a few years and said he would be happy to take her. I know keeping two in the same enclosure is not ideal, but with multiple hides and water dishes in a huge tank I wonder if it would be okay.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 04-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.0.1 Ball Python, 4.2 Canines, 1.0 Feline, 2.0 Pet Rats

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Another local guy has a 6' long tank with multiple hides and a single male. He has had his BP for a few years and said he would be happy to take her. I know keeping two in the same enclosure is not ideal, but with multiple hides and water dishes in a huge tank I wonder if it would be okay.
    It is possible BUT I didnt have as much luck with it. Our first two were runts till they each got their own home

Thanks
    I won't hijack but search that on here. Keeping bps in the same enclosure. Many things come into play, I'd search for a home that's all his and his only. 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123