Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

1 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASF food?

Thanks
    Mike, I know you have personal issues with me, and disagree on EVERYTHING I have to say about ASFs. . . But being rude really doesn't help your cause.

ASFs can live on your diet, and it's fine for feeders.
    But for my breeding purposes, the diet I am feeding is necessary, culling litters early on is necessary, and taming them is necessary.

For you, none of that matters, and you like to shove it in my face an awful lot. For you, it seems to be your way or the high way.

Your diet works, yes.

The diet i suggested is much more nutritionally balanced.

The OP said they were looking for the info I gave them. Can't you just not argue with me for once, and leave the post alone? You say I'm the kind of person that would argue with anyone, yet you constantly follow me around and bully my posts. Honestly, if it keeps up, i'm going to make a report. :/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

starstrukk (04-06-2011)

Thanks

Re: ASF food?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    Hog grower feed by purina is the best food period. It is the cheapest, at under 10 bucks for 50 lbs at any local feed store, and is all you need.

Sure, you can spend way more then that on a complicated mix of ingredients, or even rodent specific feed but the end result will be ASF's equal to or less healthy then mine who eat 100% hog feed their entire lives.
    How does this look? Or should I find one with more protein?

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Honestly, if it keeps up, i'm going to make a report. :/
    Oh no!!! you are going to report me?! To who? The forum police? Sorry for disagreeing with you on a PUBLIC FORUM!!! LOL.

I will try to show you the light one more time in plain English...

1.) I have already fed the foods that you are suggesting.
    2.) I have already tried many other food plans also.
    3.) Because of my customer base, and my own feeder / breeder needs I have been afforded the opportunity to experiment in HUGE VOLUME.
    4.) I am a data / spreadsheet junkie. Bottom line is I like numbers, and really enjoy tracking things in great detail. I have kept records since DAY 1.
    5.) While many of the foods I have tried have under performed, I was amazed to see that plain old purina hog grower worked as well as any other food plan or better. This is true with size, growth rate, litter size, lifespan, and overall health and appearance.
    6.) People are hurting for money. Many are selling off their snake collections because they no longer can afford to feed their snakes. It isn't the time for "fluff". Sure, the diet you are suggesting is excellent for the rats. I too had great success with it. No better then with the hog feed tho. Quit making your claims that your diet is more nutitionally balanced. That is just not true, and the proof is in the pudding.
    7.) refer back to #6.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    I've been feeding mine Ol' Roy dog food from Walmart for the past 6 months. I have no idea if that's a good idea or not, but it's cheap and the rats have been fine so far as I can tell.
    i once used ol' roy but quit when they added dyes to the formula.red food dye is thought to accumulate in a reptile's liver and cause problems in the long run,i can't prove this but it easy to find non dyed dog food and i'd rather error to the safe side.

for mice and ASFR's i use country squire dog food from menards HC with excellent results,21% protein and no dyes.have fun!
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Not true. If you feed any animal a more varied, and species specific diet with carefully measured amounts of nutrients, they will always be more healthy than an animal fed a non varied, cheap diet.

Dog food is a good example of this.
    Dogs have lived on crummy corn and soy dog food for a long time, and they seem to get on okay.
    But a dog fed a holistic diet, or even a raw diet, is much healthier, has a better coat, better teeth, better lifespan etc. The cost is directly an effect of the good quality ingredients.

I can guarantee my ASFs have a better coat, and longer lifespans than yours, and i'm not saying that you aren't allowed to do your hog food thing. But in my case i need my asfs to grow large, and have nice beautiful coats and long lifespans, whereas you do not.

wow only 20 years old and already has the world by the A$$,simply amazing.is it me or do others notice that these self proclaimed internet "wizards" usually won't show a picture or use there real name on a avatar?
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twh For This Useful Post:

Mike Cavanaugh (04-09-2011)

Thanks
    To the moderators, for harassment. It's getting ridiculous.

Again, your diet works for producing a bunch of rats on a diet that sustains them anyways and keeps them alive long enough for you to sell them off as feeders.

My diet produces consistently larger animals with nicer coats, which is what i need.

The proof that my diet is more balanced than yours is not 'in the pudding' it's in the numbers. Look up the dietary needs and %s needed for healthy ASFs and you'll find your diet lacking. That doesn't mean your rats are dying or skinny or mangey or anything. I'm not insulting your methods. But the truth is that you can't just buy any over-all perfect food for rodents, and even a mix is typically off, but can be much closer to their true dietary needs.

For me, producing animals for show and pets, an extremely good diet is necessary.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I would suggest you visit each others respective profile pages;

Mike Cavanaugh

Rhasputin

Look to the panels on the left hand side and select "Add to Ignore List"

Alternatively, take these discussions to the PM system when they get to a personal level.

Either that or grow a thicker skin or some form of impulse control.

We cannot make anyone behave in a "nicer" manner and would only intervene if it got to the stage it crossed the lines in regards to this rule;

Quote Originally Posted by Site F.A.Q
    3. No Hate Speak. This includes, but is not limited to: cursing; threats of violence; racial, gender, religious, or sexual slurs; personal attacks; and speech intended to cause or further a "flame war" or personal vendetta. This includes vindictive use of the Reputation System and Private Messages. Ultimately, it will be up to the staff (the mods and ultimately the admins) to determine if any given post or thread has crossed these lines.
    It would be in the best intrests of everyone if it never got to that point surely.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

JLC (04-10-2011),Mike Cavanaugh (04-10-2011),rabernet (04-10-2011),Rhasputin (04-09-2011),twh (04-09-2011)

Thanks
    I find the more variety you offer the more the pick their favourite bits and the more they leave. Lab blocks and I wish I could source some in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike10205 View Post
    I find the more variety you offer the more the pick their favourite bits and the more they leave. Lab blocks and I wish I could source some in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EXCELLENT POINT......some years ago i made a mixture for mice and found they pick out what they like and only eat one or two items,i even noticed certain mice would constantly pick out there favorite ingredient.grinding the ingredients and forming pieces or blocks is the best way to ensure a balanced diet.

so making your own mix is : more expensive,time consuming,wasteful and in the end may not be better for the rodents.have fun!
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Psssst!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike10205 View Post
    ............ I wish I could source some in the UK
    How about this - it seemed to be recommended on some uk forums?

You'd have to research the ingredients of course as it only states 17% protein.

Or this at 18%?

Basically look at all the commercial diets you can and compare it to the profile of the food you want to use.

The hardest part might be finding a farm supply outlet near where you live. Find the one thats easiest to get to then look at the makeup of their feed.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast