Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,557

3 members and 1,554 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Cleaning your roaches??

So I have a colony of dubia roaches, and obviously they need to cleaned every so often and egg crates replace. Right now i pick up most egg crates and get all the big roaches and then any running around on bottom pick up byy the handfulls. THen you have a ll the little ones mixed in with the poo and sheds etc and ill dig those out for a while but then get tired of it and end up tossing a bunch cause its such a pain....so what do you guys do??? thanks

Thanks
    When I had my dubia colony, I had two cages for them (I was using plastic tubs with diy screen lids at the time), and when I cleaned I would shake all the roaches out of the egg crates and into the new tub, then replace the egg crates. As for the little guys at the bottom, I just did my best to filter them as I dumped them into the new tub. I guess more along the lines of sifting the feces out of the babies instead of getting the babies out of the feces? In any case, I'd end up throwing out some babies and there would be some poo in the new tub, but it worked for the most part.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Depending how many roaches you have you can buy the buckets from like lowes or home depot, the paint bucket things. Buy like 5 buckets, drill/melt say 1 inch holes into the bottom of one, then like 1/2 inch in another, then like 1/4 and so on... leave one bucket untouched... Put the 1inch holed bucket into the untouched bucket, dump in your colony and lightly shake/twist and all the NON adults will fall into the untouched bucket.... empty untouched bucket and then put in the 1/2 inch and repeat... keep doing it over and over and you can sort the frass out, smalls, medium, large and so on... you get the idea the sizes aren't exact but you get the idea

4. The Following User Says Thank You to azmodane For This Useful Post:

lamina1982 (07-28-2011)