Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,188

2 members and 1,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Registered User Unstable3lement's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Hognose = Complicated?

Anyone have any suggestions as when would be a good time to get a hognose? Meaning, I have 6 snakes right now (2 balls, 3 boas, and a little bitty king)...I am new to the herp world, only 2 years in and I mean I hear from various people that some snakes are more advanced then others. Opinions wanted !

Thanks

Re: Hognose = Complicated?

Quote Originally Posted by Unstable3lement View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions as when would be a good time to get a hognose? Meaning, I have 6 snakes right now (2 balls, 3 boas, and a little bitty king)...I am new to the herp world, only 2 years in and I mean I hear from various people that some snakes are more advanced then others. Opinions wanted !
    I would say with two years of keeping herps you should be more than ready for hognose. I've never kept one but from everything i've read and heard they're pretty basic to care for as long as they are allready eating rodents. Im sure you know they eat mainly amphibians in the wild so it can be a task switching hatchlings over. But if you buy from a breeder they should all ready have this done for you. I guess another issue would be there mild toxicity being a rear fanged venomous animal. But from what i've seen and heard they're one of the most docile snakes in the hobby.

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    .1 Jungle Corn .1 Pueblan Milk
    .1 Rosy Boa 1 False Water Cobra
    2 Painted Turtles 1 Stink Pot
    1 Miniature Pinscher
    http://www.youtube.com/1980norcal

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Except for the fact that they can be a pain to get eating regularly, they are actually easier to keep than most of the snakes in your sig.

The require fairly small enclosures and are fairly docile. They are not advanced snakes to keep.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Put me down for a "they are super easy to keep, except they can sometimes be a pain to get to feed" camp.

Thanks

Complicated? to me no. I have been keeping all kinds of herps for about 8 years. I have a hognose and they are terrific; one of my favorite snakes! no they are not complicated, and since you have 6 snakes, you should be experienced enough to get a hognose. If you get one... you will not regret it, trust me on this one. They are very cool looking snakes, almost like they are related to the rattlesnake. I have never been bit by mine, they just hiss... ALOT! but when they get to know you, the hissing goes away a lot, but not totally, because snakes just have bad days sometimes and want to be left alone. So, no hognoses are not comlicated. Sometimes they can be tricky to get to eat, but they adapt.

Registered User PythonsbyParris's Avatar
    Thanks

In my opinion Hogs are easy, even easier than my BP's. They are happy in small enclosures. The females are always ready to eat . When I open the tub for any of my females they look up and open their mouths for me to lower a mouse into, if I slide the mouse down the side of the tub they will reach out grab it and then proceed to eat. They are fun to feed. The male is another story they tend to be picky eaters IMHO

Thanks
    you dont need to worry about humidity, only heat, and they require lower temps then a BP. they are great snakes. My hoggy has had no problems eating. The day i brought him home from the expo he downed 2 pinkys and drank some water. just fed him again, 2 pinkies. no troubles eating what so ever! the only downside i see is that using aspen bedding is a little more pricey, and cleaning substrates suck, thats why i use paper towels for my python. not to mention hoggys are silly looking! Mine is a male BTW, so dont listen to pythonsbyparris ;P
    Last edited by Mikekrause2000; 04-10-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Mitch

Thanks
    The only issue I have ever had with mine is they don't cling on to you like the other snakes. They will fall out of your hand if you're not careful. But they are fantastic.