Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,906

0 members and 2,906 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question i dont understand

i had 3 snakes just go into shed one right after the other the first two all shed in one piece but my 3rd will not for the life of me give me a good shed this is the 2nd time the first i wasnt sprying so the humdity was bad but this time i kept it at 70+% with a full water bowl i just dont understand
    2.3 normals
    1.0 100% het pied
    1.1 spider
    1.0 pastel

Thanks
    oh by the way i did the soak 15 min and let him crawl in a handtowel i personaly think hes lazy just worked enugh to get the shed off his face but he sure had fun when i helped him lazy snake
    2.3 normals
    1.0 100% het pied
    1.1 spider
    1.0 pastel

Thanks

Re: i dont understand

Mine's never had a good shed (but that's because the owners I took him from didn't keep adequate humidity). I'm still waiting for his first shed under my care, hoping it's a lot better since I'm giving proper care, but I've seen many people say a "one piece" shed isn't necessarily the sole mark of a healthy snake. I'm no expert, so I'm not completely positive, this is just what I've read. Some say as long as it's a COMPLETE shed with no retaining pieces than it's nothing to worry about.. but is there is stuck shed then there may be a problem.

Like I said, I'm no expert.. just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Kymberli; 03-16-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: i dont understand

When my male normal sheds it is never in a complete piece. It consists of two big pieces. He never has any stuck shed so as long as all of the shed is coming off I don't see there being any problems.

Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just because it does not come off in one piece does not mean it's bad or that there is a problem. Humidity could be low or sometimes you just get a snake that can't get it off in one piece. If they dont have anything to help them shed ( such as a hide or the bedding to help pull the shed loose) it tends to come off in multiple pieces. We have some that come off in one piece as pretty as can be then we have the ones that looked like they exploded lmao... Shed every where... Little pieces big pieces lol just a mess. So just keep up with the good humidity and next time he or she is in shed spray once a day in the enclosure. If there is any stuck shed just soak and do the towl thing.

Thanks
    I think what most people are talking about is either all the shed coming off in one or a few peices. If you're bps shed is coming off really patchy then your humidity is off. All of my bps are in tubs and since I switched over to tubs I've never had another bad shed. All of their sheds come off in one or two peices. Mostly it's one and they look like big condoms. Excuse the expression. But that's what I refer to as a perfect shed. A good shed really is If they can get it off in one sitting. They will roll it off of themselves. But it doesn't happen everytime. And it's no big deal if it doesn't come off all at once. Some will also prefer to rub it off on cage decor so it will come off in big peices.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-16-2011)

Thanks
    Just to respond i think he's lazy he just gets it off his face and then goes back to sleep I woke him up this morning and I was told if they stop trying to get the shed off to help and someone said about hides and substrate I have him on mulch and his hide is driftwood that I've tryed to get but any way I really don't know when picked him up skin came off so he should be able to remove it himself I would think to would feel good kinda like prolong a sunburn but sorry for my ramblings he just worries me anyway thanks for the input
    2.3 normals
    1.0 100% het pied
    1.1 spider
    1.0 pastel