Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,716

1 members and 2,715 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what medicine?

Thanks

what medicine?

Okay so heres the situation, my bp have some secretion in his mouth, at first i thought it is respiratory disease but after i took it for a check up, there isnt any reactions towards any bacteria, wgat is it about? Any medicine recommended for clearing the secretions?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Your vet didn't have any recommendations? Most things can be helped by upping the heat in the enclosure but if everything else is as it should be (temps, humidity, etc.), I'd say another trip to the vet or a different doc altogether to get a better answer before I'd go trying some snake oil (pun intended, lol!) cure for an unknown illness. Just my two cents...
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: what medicine?

What kind of secretion is it? Clear? Opaque? Runny? Thick?....I've seen some BPs have a little water dribble out of their mouth if they are handled right after they are drinking some water...maybe thats what it was.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mouth rot and upper respiratory infection can cause them to have slimy mouths. Have you looked up those problems? Google those two issues and look at pictures and see if that's what you have. You cannot just go pick up the medication your ball python needs, you must get it from a vet who will need to see your ball python.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
    Okay so heres the situation, my bp have some secretion in his mouth, at first i thought it is respiratory disease but after i took it for a check up, there isnt any reactions towards any bacteria, wgat is it about? Any medicine recommended for clearing the secretions?
    Let me translate:

1. Your snake had/has fluid coming from it's mouth.

2. You took it to the vet.

3. Cultures came back negative for bacteria.

Is this correct?

If so, is your snake continuing to have the same issue?

If the vet says it's not a bacterial infection, what does the vet think the issue is?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Let me translate:

1. Your snake had/has fluid coming from it's mouth.

2. You took it to the vet.

3. Cultures came back negative for bacteria.

Is this correct?

If so, is your snake continuing to have the same issue?

If the vet says it's not a bacterial infection, what does the vet think the issue is?
    Oh yep, it does say it went for a check up. I would sure think your vet would give you something to help your BP. I would do some calling around and find another vet that can help you if the original vet won't give you any meds. Did you tell them the issue came back or that it's unresolved?

Thanks

Oh I would be most displeased (FUMING) with my vet if he/she didn't give suggestions or do other tests. I would go to someone else.

Thanks
    here's the details:
    1, the snake had been infected half a year

2, infrared bulb given to raise the temp

3, secretions are thick, sometimes clear and sometimes opaque

4, the check up results came out with no reaction with any bacteria and disease(i've did 3times) the first result came out with reaction, medicine given, uncured, second reslut, reacted with different kind of bacteria, the most extreme medicine given, uncured, third time, no reaction! vet said"if the medicine given are not helping, i don't have any clue what disease/bacteria it is!" he does mean the medicine at the third time check up

5, secretion continues to obtain, suggested to use betadine with warm water to clean out the mouth, no improevment

6, had tried many kinds of antibiotics that can heal upper respiratory disease, still no improvements and no reaction

NOTE: above information are listed not according to the date and steps, and this is not the first time the snakes got infected, we have 6 carpet pythons died of the same situation, it happens in winter eventhought we provide heat pad

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

here's the details:
    1, the snake had been infected half a year

2, infrared bulb given to raise the temp

3, secretions are thick, sometimes clear and sometimes opaque

4, the check up results came out with no reaction with any bacteria and disease(i've did 3times) the first result came out with reaction, medicine given, uncured, second reslut, reacted with different kind of bacteria, the most extreme medicine given, uncured, third time, no reaction! vet said"if the medicine given are not helping, i don't have any clue what disease/bacteria it is!" he does mean the medicine at the third time check up

5, secretion continues to obtain, suggested to use betadine with warm water to clean out the mouth, no improevment

6, had tried many kinds of antibiotics that can heal upper respiratory disease, still no improvements and no reaction

NOTE: above information are listed not according to the date and steps, and this is not the first time the snakes got infected, we have 6 carpet pythons died of the same situation, it happens in winter eventhought we provide heat pad
    From what you are posting, your vet sounds like a real ass. Your account indicates he feels it was a bacterial infection, and cultured and attempted to treat it as such. When that didn't work, he threw a couple of courses of antibiotic treatment at it. Now he's recommending treating it with betadine rinses?

In all of these visits, he has not offered some theories on what he thinks it might be? A virus? A bacteria? Anything? Really?

If that's the case, go see another vet. Get the file from the original vet which should included all of the tests that were run and all of the medications that were prescribed. That way, you and your snake will not have to endure the same failed course of treatment again. It's important that you and the vet both take some time - you to clearly and concisely described what is currently happening, what treatments were tried, that other animals in your care have been infected and died, etc. - and him to listen to what you have to say.

If it's a bacterial infection, it can be cultured and an antibiotic prescribed. If it's a virus, well, then that's a different story. Flushing the mouth out with betadine is useful for something like stomatitis, not a systemic bacterial or viral infection.

Did you have necropsies done on the carpet pythons? How long did they take to die? Is this the only symptom? Have any of the afflicted animals shown any other symptoms before they expired?

All you are going to do is get people here tossing out some of the more common reptile diseases - which won't help you one bit.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 03-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    From what you are posting, your vet sounds like a real ass. Your account indicates he feels it was a bacterial infection, and cultured and attempted to treat it as such. When that didn't work, he threw a couple of courses of antibiotic treatment at it. Now he's recommending treating it with betadine rinses?

In all of these visits, he has not offered some theories on what he thinks it might be? A virus? A bacteria? Anything? Really?

If that's the case, go see another vet. Get the file from the original vet which should included all of the tests that were run and all of the medications that were prescribed. That way, you and your snake will not have to endure the same failed course of treatment again. It's important that you and the vet both take some time - you to clearly and concisely described what is currently happening, what treatments were tried, that other animals in your care have been infected and died, etc. - and him to listen to what you have to say.

If it's a bacterial infection, it can be cultured and an antibiotic prescribed. If it's a virus, well, then that's a different story. Flushing the mouth out with betadine is useful for something like stomatitis, not a systemic bacterial or viral infection.

Did you have necropsies done on the carpet pythons? How long did they take to die? Is this the only symptom? Have any of the afflicted animals shown any other symptoms before they expired?

All you are going to do is get people here tossing out some of the more common reptile diseases - which won't help you one bit.
    let me clarify this:
    we have taken the sanke to 2 vets, the first vet is really an ass, he gave us antibiotics with no use at all, file closed, so we went to another vet who is the only vet who can help us in town due to the medic technology and human resource, there are only 2 vets who knows how to treat reptiles, this time, he did a check up with the secretions, no reaction to VIRUS(my bad, i didn't clarify this), his theory is, if it is a bacterial infection, it should be cured before with the antibiotics given by the last vet, he thinks it is a virus, so he did the check up, the last result came up with a reaction on the fouth day finally, the that virus can be cured with only one kind of medicine, so we tried it but unfortuntly, the medicine give reacts with water and given a burn like heating(that's the reaction with saliva) in the esophagus, after a few days the burnt inside is treated, the latest news for today, secretions found still but way better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast