Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

3 members and 2,817 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

What is going on?

Recently Hera has been refusing food fairly frequently. She was on a 5 day feeding schedule and I moved her back to a 7 day schedule since she was starting to refuse. Well even on a 7 day schedule she still refuses almost every other meal.

She isn't that old ( I am guessing 6-8 months or so) and she is only 450g. I am worried about how little she weighs and she seems to refuse more and more frequently. Temps and humidity are fine, nothing has changed in her tank. I have no idea why she is doing this. She is currently on jumbo mice (I have yet to get her to take a rat) and I feed her F/T.

Could it be the time of year? Should I consider trying live prey? I know that she can fast for months if she wants but I worry about her refusing this much. Any ideas guys?
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are worried and want her to eat more, you can definitely try live. There's no issue with that. Some of mine won't take f/t but every now and again when I'm in a pinch I feed the f/t feeders f/t. I have no problems switching back and forth from live to f/t with the f/t feeders.

I had one at a year and a half old that would refuse every 3rd meal like clock work. I wanted to breed her and my other virgin girls in 2010 so I started tossing her an extra meal on the weeks she would eat. She ended up being my largest virgin girl.

Thanks
    hmm ok that gives me 2 things that I can try then, I can see if she will take an extra when she does feed and I can try a live on with her. We do want to breed her in the future (we want to do some small breeding) so I want to make sure that I learn her feeding habits.

Too bad she doesn't eat like Zeus (our corn) he eats like a garbage disposal.

1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)

Thanks

Re: What is going on?

I am having a similar problem with my girl she is right around 400 grams and I wanted to make the trasition from live mice to FT rats. I figured I would transition to live rats first to make it easier. She was nailing small mice every 5 days without hesitation. When I tried to feed the first rat she was just starting the shed process and would not take it so that did not suprise me. She ate it 7 days later. 7 days after that I tried another live rat and she refused again, so I figure I will try that one next weekend again. I am feedig rats around 40-45 grams so they are the same size as the mice I was feeding and when she took the first one I figured I had it beat. With the size I am feeding I hope she starts taking them every 7 days because they are small enough every 14 days does not seem like enough.

Thanks
    Well she ate today, we went and got a live rate for her, forgot to weigh the rat though, and after a little hesitation she took it and ate it right down. I am going to keep offering her F/T though since we have so many.

But we may switch her to live once they run out.

1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)