Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

2 members and 2,859 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation What does this sore look like to you?

Just bought this spider at a reptile show and noticed she had a bad shed, she was almost completely shed though just a few spots here and there. Well a couple of days later after allowing her time to get comfy with her new home I inspected her closer to find this:
    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...dowsore006.jpg
    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...dowsore005.jpg
    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...dowsore004.jpg
    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...dowsore003.jpg
    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...dowsore002.jpg
    http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...dowsore001.jpg

Let me know what you think please and thank you all.

Thanks

Re: What does this sore look like to you?

I've never seen pictures of a fungal infection on a BP, so obviously I'm not 100% positive, but I've read stories from other keepers who say fungal infections look "fuzzy".. which is what those pictures look like to me. If it's not "fuzzy", maybe stuck shed on the tip of the tail, this could cause the tissue to die over time if not taken care of.

Also, I'm no expert, so my input should be taken with a grain of salt
    Last edited by Kymberli; 03-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kymberli For This Useful Post:

8-Ball (03-14-2011)

Thanks

It looks like stuck shed on the end of the tail from a while ago. Next time this snake goes into shed, bump up the humidity to maybe 65%-70%. This helps the snake shed in all one clean piece, so the stuck shed on the tail should come off.

If not there are other methods to getting a stuck shed off.
    Tiff'z Morphz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

8-Ball (03-14-2011)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Weird. .Not sure what to make of that..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    I agree about stuck shed. It just looks like some stuck shed with some fibers stuck in it. A good soak and a wash cloth should probably take that off. I don't see any redness or signs of a sore. Be sure to increase humidity next time you realize the snake is going into shed.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely looks like something from a stuck shed staying on the tail too long. It looks like it could be infected, it's hard to say. I would use only newspaper or paper towels as substrate till it's fixed and put some neosporin on it. Make sure there are no pain killers in the neo. If it doesn't get better or gets worse a trip to the vet is definitely the next step. My guess is that a shed or two had built up. It's easy to miss a stuck shed on just the tip of the tail. I just had it happen, but luckily the snake was fine. I'm not sure if it can happen from just one stuck shed, but I would guess that it's possible on a young snake that is growing fast. I have heard that it's from the stuck shed pinching the tail, no idea if that's true, but sounds legit to me.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 03-14-2011 at 03:20 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

8-Ball (03-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlitherinSisters View Post
    Definitely looks like something from a stuck shed staying on the tail too long. It looks like it could be infected, it's hard to say. I would use only newspaper or paper towels as substrate till it's fixed and put some neosporin on it. Make sure there are no pain killers in the neo. If it doesn't get better or gets worse a trip to the vet is definitely the next step. My guess is that a shed or two had built up. It's easy to miss a stuck shed on just the tip of the tail. I just had it happen, but luckily the snake was fine. I'm not sure if it can happen from just one stuck shed, but I would guess that it's possible on a young snake that is growing fast. I have heard that it's from the stuck shed pinching the tail, no idea if that's true, but sounds legit to me.
    You can see the sore on her tail, well in person. You can definitely see flesh.
    Cool, I will put her in a different tub with just newspaper as a sub and follow up with everyone when she is healed. I believe I can help her with the advise everyone has given.
    Thank you all very much

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
    You can see the sore on her tail, well in person. You can definitely see flesh.
    Cool, I will put her in a different tub with just newspaper as a sub and follow up with everyone when she is healed. I believe I can help her with the advise everyone has given.
    Thank you all very much
    Of course I'm no vet, but as long as it doesn't get worse I wouldn't stress too much. The key is keeping things clean to avoid getting an infection or the infection getting worse. I've had a bite that drew blood and left some open flesh, but I just kept things clean and she was healed up within a couple days, no problem.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

8-Ball (03-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlitherinSisters View Post
    Of course I'm no vet, but as long as it doesn't get worse I wouldn't stress too much. The key is keeping things clean to avoid getting an infection or the infection getting worse. I've had a bite that drew blood and left some open flesh, but I just kept things clean and she was healed up within a couple days, no problem.
    I really hope it don't last long! poor girl. What's worse is the so called reptile breeder/expert says he has never heard of this before and didn't notice it. Shows he really cares for his snakes. Then after I call him and he gives me his e-mail to send the pics (you know because he's never heard or seen anything like this) He don't even have the decency to write back with any response.
    Tells me he don't care is what I get from all this. Well I'm giving him till this afternoon to reply, rectify, or respond to something before putting an alert to buyers in Michigan to beware of this guy.
    Thank you once again

Thanks
    I would get a thing of mineral oil and grab a qtip and put just the tiniest bit on the tip of the qtip and apply a very very small layer to the affected area 1-2 times to loosen it up. It will come off on its own. Normally it isn't good to out oil products on any reptile. But I have found that a touch of m.o goes a long way to taking care of stuck sheds. Leaving it will only constrict the animals good skin opening it up to a wound or the tip becoming necrotic and falling off or a massive infection.
    Morgan