Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

0 members and 3,135 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Expo Budget?

Thanks

Expo Budget?

So I'm looking to go to either the White Plains expo or the Oaks, PA expo to pick up my first boa and some of the supplies. Parents agreed to pay for food if I buy the snake and supplies myself, but scraping up cash has proven more difficult than expected.

So far I have $85, with a minimum $95 on the way. I plan on getting the following at the show:
    Heat pad (unless I can use a heat lamp instead? I have one of those lying around)
    Thermostat
    Digital thermometer
    Screen lid (36"x12")
    Either a normal or a het albino, no preference on sex.

Will the $180 I have guaranteed be enough, or should I start working harder to sell the stuff around my house? And is there anything else (aside from hides and bedding, which I have already) I should get?

Thanks

Re: Expo Budget?

Very cool!! The White Plains expo is great!!

I would definitely try to get a heat pad. They are much better for the snake's digestion, and heat lamps really eat up humidity too.

My ex got his normal female RTB at White Plains for $60. She was about 3 or 4 months old (can't remember) and had a nice clean pattern. That was close to 3 years ago, but I can't imagine prices have fluctuated too much. Now I'm not sure about the exact prices of all of the supplies, but I'm pretty sure a thermometer and a screen lid will be pretty cheap. Probably the only other thing that will set you back is the thermostat depending on what brand you get, but I'm going to say that $180 will definitely be enough. I would maybe bring $200 to be safe, but that's just me
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

Thanks

Thanks! According to Petsmart.com, a heat pad is $22, a thermostat is $28, a digital thermometer is $11, a screen is $25, and locks are $3. So that'd be $89 total, and I'm sure expo prices are considerably cheaper than Petsmart's. So I guess I'm a lot better off than I thought. XD

Do you know how much a het albino goes for? I've looked around online, but I have yet to find a single one that was het for albino only. Every one I've seen is het for both albino and anery, or albino and arabesque, etc. Do they not exist any more? XD

Thanks

I went to the white plains expo last year and paid 100$ for my pastel boa and 16 for a heat pad. I also agree that you should use the heat pad . You dont want to keep a light on 24/7. Heat pads with a thermostat or reostat are the way to go. I pay 8 for my accurite thermometers at lowes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts
    I see that your signature says "BCC on the way". I highly doubt that you are going to find a BCC of any sex that will fit into your budget. If you are looking for a BCI, you shouldn't have a problem. Also, there are plenty of Het Albino only BCIs out there.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    I see that your signature says "BCC on the way". I highly doubt that you are going to find a BCC of any sex that will fit into your budget. If you are looking for a BCI, you shouldn't have a problem. Also, there are plenty of Het Albino only BCIs out there.
    I've seen breeders selling BCCs for prices I can afford. I'm not wholly committed to a BCC, but I prefer them to BCIs. If I can't find a BCC within my price range at the show, I'm content to take a BCI or even a Dumeril's.

And yeah, I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't seen any in my searches. All the pro breeders have multi-genes and all the FaunaClassifieds/Kingsnake ads are selling either multi-genes or adults. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.