Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,115

2 members and 3,113 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nothing like a new camera to make you feel smart as a box of rocks!

Wow! SO much to learn! Still so much of just the basics to figure out. It's frustrating, because I'm a bit obsessive about being "good" at whatever I put my hand to....and this just makes me feel so dumb! LOL But, I do realize it's a learning process, and will take lots and lots of practice. Just need to figure out the best way TO practice. There's gotta be a better way than just pointing at stuff and getting frustrated at fuzzy pictures!

My models were exceptionally uncooperative...well, except for the dead tree...that one didn't try to run out of the frame. I took a whole bunch of pictures....and out of all of them, only these turned out worth sharing. (And the last two are the same picture, just different crops)

Comments and advice welcomed!!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Re: Nothing like a new camera to make you feel smart as a box of rocks!

I completely understand! I am very tech minded and I just got a new cam too. I was trying to take videos and I couldn't figure out how until I watched a you tube video!
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Swingline0.0.1 For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-08-2011)

Thanks
    They look good. I like # 2.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ama1997 For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-08-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ama1997 View Post
    They look good. I like # 2.
    Thanks...that was her finally giving up and realizing I wasn't going to let her escape from the big black eye that kept staring her down. She really hates cameras!
    -- Judy

Thanks

The pics aren't that bad!! New cameras always take a little bit of practice. I would definitely like to see some more photos of BPs LOL, and you get to practice even more!
    Tiff'z Morphz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-08-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    The pics aren't that bad!! New cameras always take a little bit of practice. I would definitely like to see some more photos of BPs LOL, and you get to practice even more!
    I'll definitely be practicing with the snakes! Used two of them today, and out of all the pictures, only that one was remotely decent. Also need to figure out how to set them up in a good light situation where they can't escape. I've got so many pictures of a nicely focused body with a blurry head and neck zipping out of the picture!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I'll definitely be practicing with the snakes! Used two of them today, and out of all the pictures, only that one was remotely decent. Also need to figure out how to set them up in a good light situation where they can't escape. I've got so many pictures of a nicely focused body with a blurry head and neck zipping out of the picture!
    The flash on the camera works, but if you can get the flash off camera. ( dont want to get in trouble. The flash on the camera now does not come off) You will be amazed an the difference. Nikon makes a cool little flash the sb400 its cheap, you will have to buy a cable to get the flash off your camera. Not sure if it comes with a defuser or not, but they are cheap too. I hardly ever use the flash, I like the natural light thing myself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ama1997 For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-08-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ama1997 View Post
    The flash on the camera works, but if you can get the flash off camera. ( dont want to get in trouble. The flash on the camera now does not come off) You will be amazed an the difference. Nikon makes a cool little flash the sb400 its cheap, you will have to buy a cable to get the flash off your camera. Not sure if it comes with a defuser or not, but they are cheap too. I hardly ever use the flash, I like the natural light thing myself.
    Yeah, I prefer natural light as well. I've always hated the effects I got with the flash on my old camera. When at all possible, I will try to work with what light I have or find ways to add light before using the flash. Once I get all these other basics down, I'll look into an external flash. (And don't worry, I won't try to yank the onboard flash off the camera! )
    -- Judy

Thanks

LOL isn't it annoying when snakes just can't sit still for just 5 seconds?

Also if you do get some really good photos, I recommend trying out GIMP. I downloaded it off of a website (it'll pop up if you just type in GIMP on Google or whatever search engine you use) and I use it to level out the White Balance for all of my photos I take with my camera.

It truly does make a huge difference if the White Balance on your camera is a bit off or the lighting in the room changed the White Balance of the photo. I could post some pics for an example if you'd like of a before and after. I'm also going to take new photos of everything in the reptile room this week so I'm definitely using GIMP to White Balance the photos.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Judy I'm glad you got your camera. I know how excited you were about it. I would reccomend using your flash until you are more familiar with the cameras functions.

I've got so many pictures of a nicely focused body with a blurry head and neck zipping out of the picture!
    Just remember smaller aperture will give you more detailed shots and the higher shutter speed will help with blurring though you will have to sacrifice one somewhat to gain the other. I would recomend trying to mess around with it on manual settings so you can get a better feel for it.

Did you figure out how to use the auto focus points yet? If not look that up in your manual this will help you out on those shots where the body is in focus but not the head.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RhacHead For This Useful Post:

JLC (03-08-2011)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast