Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,890

1 members and 2,889 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

1 thermostat to control UTH and radiant panel and where to locate probe?

For those of you that have both an UTH and a radiant panel (or anything for a hot spot) how do you use 1 thermostat to control both? Where do you place the probe?

My guess is the probe is placed outside the tank on the UTH and you use thermometers to watch tank temps and dial in the thermostat setting based off the tank readings? Or do you place the probe inside the tank?

If that is the case what temperature do you set the floor of the tank to?
    If the floor is set to 80, and the radiant heat panel stays on too long and heats up the air too much what do you do?

Thanks
    You need to pick up an accurite indoor/outdoor from lowe's. You can use it to help you balance your temps. For example - If your Thermostat reads 90, but your accurite reads 84, you'll know to bump up your thermostat to around 96. You want your hotspot at around 88-94 F.

Besides that you were spot on, at least, that's how I do it. I've also seen some people cut a little square out of the bottom of an old bin or same type of enclosure they are using, and place the square on a spot of the UTH, normally towards the side or excess of the strip and then tape their probe to that square. This will basically mimic your enclosure and require very little tweaking!