Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,662

1 members and 2,661 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What are the least reliable t-stat brands?

I have a herpstat at the moment controlling the temps for my rack, but I need another t-stat because I'm setting up an incubator.

The last thing I want is the thermostat shorting and frying my eggs/snakes. I've heard that some t-stats will fry after power-outages, too.

What brands would you say are the ones to avoid? Which would you not want to incubate eggs with?

(Ranco ETC-111000 is my favorite so far. Does anybody have any horror stories about that model?)
    0.1 07 Normal "Bigsnake"
    1.0 08 Lesser "Congo"
    1.0 12 Piebald "Pixel"

Thanks

Re: What are the least reliable t-stat brands?

I would avoid the zoomed reptitemp 500R's but that's just me.. I never had good luck with them. There are quite a few people here that use them successfully with regular enclosures I would never, ever put one on an incubator.

I've been using a Helix and a Johnsons control unit for years and they are great.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 02-27-2011 at 12:17 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

Ash (02-27-2011)

Thanks

I use the ranco. Tho for incubators a proportional tstat i think is better than an on/off tstat.

Thats just my 2 cents. I always use racnos. Only porp. tstat i have is on incubator.
    Mike

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckeyeBalls For This Useful Post:

Ash (02-27-2011)

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll steer clear of the reptitemp. I wonder if anyone has ever used an on/off t-stat on an incubator with good results. I'm sure that in the wild, temps fluctuate more than they would in an incubator with an on/off t-stat.
    0.1 07 Normal "Bigsnake"
    1.0 08 Lesser "Congo"
    1.0 12 Piebald "Pixel"

Thanks
    I just ordered an incubator from nature spirit reptiles and they highly recommended the herpstat so I went with that. It is being shipped on Monday so I will be more help in a few weeks lol. But I use herpstat hd on my racks and I love them

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jon
    0.1 Hog Cross Boa
    1.0 Hypo 100% het sharp Albino
    1.0 Albino B.P.
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel B.P.
    1.1 Pied B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe B.P.
    0.1 poss het pied B.P.
    0.1 bumblebee B.P.
    0.1 Caramel Albino B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe Het Albino B.P.
    0.3 Normal B.P

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Herpstat hands down.

Your going to want a proportional thermostat and herpstat by spyder robotics is as reliable as they come and is the least expensive one that I know of.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I'd add a newtek/alife to the list of exceptionally poor ones. And second the zoo med 500r and the worst.

I have done a bit of poking into ranco and johnston and the question I have is are they using a resistive probe or a thermal coupler to set the temps? The cost difference is substantial even for large volume orders and I can't see anything using a coupler in the price range of the either. Resistive sensors typically have a 2º accuracy (and cheap digital temp devices are the same)

If you set the temp to 88 it could be with a properly working devise 90 or 86. I don't know if either uses resistive sensors but Helix Herpstat Ecozone don't use them. I don't know anyone whom is using a ranco / johnston whom has an accurate (0.5º error or better) thermometer to check.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Ash (02-28-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I have a herpstat at the moment controlling the temps for my rack, but I need another t-stat because I'm setting up an incubator.

The last thing I want is the thermostat shorting and frying my eggs/snakes. I've heard that some t-stats will fry after power-outages, too.

What brands would you say are the ones to avoid? Which would you not want to incubate eggs with?

(Ranco ETC-111000 is my favorite so far. Does anybody have any horror stories about that model?)
    why dont you just go with another herpstat? At least you know you can count on it!

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    I use Helix's with Ranco back ups and a Herpstat for my incubator and have never had a problem with any of em.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't get anything cheaper than a Ranco or Johnson. My advice is that if you want to get something cheaper than one of those you might as well use a dimmer on it's own. You will have to check it all the time, at least once a day, but at least if it fails it doesn't fail in the on position. I had a Rzilla thermostat and a friend of mine told me to put a dimmer on it as back up because it was cheap. Two weeks later I couldn't have thanked him enough. My thermostat melted and the dimmer shut everything off. That's probably the only reason I'm still in this hobby today. Now I use Helix and love them, but still put back up dimmers on them just in case. Dimmers cut the power when they fail and most thermostats let all the power go through them if they fail.

And most definitely don't use a cheap thermostat on your eggs. Helix is the cheapest I would go with those.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

Ash (02-28-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast