Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

3 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question Help...Housing two Ball Pythons

So I just picked up two ball pythons from a girl on craigslist. It was 50 dollars for both with the setup. Both snakes were housed together in a 20 gallon long tank. She said they have always been housed together and she has had no problems. She even feeds them live prey in the 20 gallon tank together. She said they don't bother each other. I don't see any marks on them either. When I got them home I put them into a bigger tank but I left them together to see how they would react. They both still went under the same hide together. They also explore together at night time. I know alot of people disagree with housing snakes together and I know the risks. But if i was to separate them and feed them outside of their cage. I will also try to get them to eat pre killed. So do you guys think I should separate them or let them be together? I would like to get your guys opinions on this since I am still a fairly new snake owner. Here is a pic of them. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    They should be kept seperate. You can search and get the specifics but you're going to find every reply is the same. For their own health, safety and stress they should be housed in their own enclosures.

Regards,

B

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simple Man For This Useful Post:

mocojeeps (02-26-2011)

Thanks
    ^i agree,You must think beyond things like them fighting over food and attacking each other.Housing to snakes together is also very unsanitary,lets say one snake decides to poop in the water bowl and then the other goes and drink from it.That could lead to a few health issues. Or if both of them are sharing a hide and one decides to defecate on the other and then leaves the dirty hide with the other snake in there.Even if there has yet to be problems,eventually a problem will arise housing to snakes together,whether its a fight,stress or even bacterial infection. Just seperate them and safe your self a trip to the vet my friend,that would be best for them and you.

Also you might want to get some new hides in there,those half log hides are not ideal hides for ball pythons,they are exposed at both sides so there is still a exposure feeling with those hides.Try to get a hide with one way in and one out that they can just barley fit into.

Good luck,and welcome to the forum!
    Why? Why do humans always look to the sky? Why do you try so hard to fly when you don't have any wings? We'll run on our own legs. - Kiba "Wolf's rain"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Strange_Evil For This Useful Post:

mocojeeps (02-26-2011)

Thanks
    I vote separate! They are likely going into the same hide because they feel the most safe in that hide/feel comfortable at the heat of that area of the tank..

I'd say you got those snakes out of a very bad situation, and I'm glad you are willing to give them proper homes! They will be much happier in their own places!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

mocojeeps (02-26-2011)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    FIRST off..........
    Second, it is really your choice if you want them together or not.
    Short story: We started with our first two girls together in a 55gal. Everything was great per say but Huggie Bear never missed a meal and Lynn would only eat every other week. Not big issues right? Well after separating the two, they BOTH started packing on twice as much weight than they did when they were together. Why, I dont know but they also seem to shed way faster too. Only thing I can think is less stress? Who knows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

mocojeeps (02-26-2011)

Thanks

Re: Help...Housing two Ball Pythons

Thanks everyone for the input, I just separated them. I already had the tank setup since that was my plan from the beginning, since the previous owner didn't really care for the snakes to much. Thanks again

Thanks

Re: Help...Housing two Ball Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by mocojeeps View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input, I just separated them. I already had the tank setup since that was my plan from the beginning, since the previous owner didn't really care for the snakes to much. Thanks again
    Yea. Housing them together isnt so bad. People always are so harsh against it. Its really not that "bad"

Now on the other hand... feeding them in the same enclosure.. is insane.

I was reading on maybe here or another forums. a guy had 2 housed together.. put a rat in for each one... they both ate their rat.. well one stuck the other snake and started to constrict it because while the snake was swallowing the other snake came to close. once it was down.. boom stuck the snake.. Dont want that
    Mike