Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,063

1 members and 3,062 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Talk to me about eReaders

So, I think I may very soon be breaking down and getting an eReader. Kindle seems perfectly priced, but am I correct in that it won't allow you to "borrow" books from your local library like the Nook Color will?

Nook Color has Wi-Fi, but not 3G. Kindle has Wi-Fi and 3G (if you choose that version).

iPad is out of my price range.

The borrowing books from the library is pretty important to me. But I don't have wireless access (though I suppose I can get it through my provider - I think for free, but then I need a wireless router, right?)

I guess you can tell, I don't have a laptop either, so don't know a thing about how wireless really works.
    Last edited by rabernet; 02-24-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks
    I got a Kindle with WiFi 3g & I love it! I looked at the Nook color but really didn't need all the extras. And the Nook color is much heavier than the Kindle so that is something to consider when looking at a device you are going to have in your hands for long periods of time. I have a computer but have used the Kindle to browse the Kindle store & it was very easy & fast. I'm not sure about being able to borrow books from the local library, last thing I heard it wasn't available yet. I did a lot of research before I got one & also posted on another forum asking opinions on which e-reader people liked. A dr I work for has a Nook and I just didn't like how heavy it was compared to the Kindle. I'm very happy with my purchase & glad I got the wifi with mine.

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have the 2nd gen Kindle wifi/3G and the newest Kindle 3 wifi and I love them both! The Amazon Kindle store and great and interfaces seamlessly with the Kindle.

I would highly recommend the Kindle. I'm not sure about the library book borrowing thing, I believe I heard something about Amazon enabling that feature but I'm not 100%.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts
    For a straight up ereader the Kindle is great. E ink technology is much better if you're planning to read outside in the sun. The Nook Color has more tricks up it's sleeve like ips display and ability to be modded into a full fledged Android tablet. It also has the Android web browser and some nifty magazine features.
    If it's just for reading books I'd say Kindle. Keep in mind that I'm not an avid reader but I like to keep up with the technology and I have played with both a bit.
    Last edited by waltah!; 02-26-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    --Walt

Thanks
    I have a kindle and I love it. I haven't played with a nook though so I'm not a good source for comparison. The ability to sync my kindle with the app on my phone in great and purchasing books is super easy.

sent from my EVO
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I have the Pandigital Novel Android eReader, its the supposdly first color ereader on android system. Does allow videos and wifi internet. Also connected to Barnes and Nobel for all kinds of reading material.

I paid 99.99 for it and didnt like it at all and gave it to my sister.

To get wifi internet in your house just buy a 40-100$ wireless router and hook it up. Your service provider has nothing to do with wireless setup.
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 02-26-2011 at 06:56 PM.