Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

3 members and 2,927 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

A few Feeding Questions...

I got my BP in June and he ate once a week ravenously and once it got to October he refused food for the first time which is normal I understand. I offered him food again 2 weeks later and he ate it. This happened 3 more times (refusing food etc) and it was becoming really frustrating due to having to kill/store the rats (I feed live). I then started to feed him after he pooped (approx every 2 weeks)... is this a good rule of thumb?
    Secondly, I wanted to get my new bp on the same feeding schedule so I fed them both yesterday. The new one ate instantly but my old bp showed interest but never did anything .... I HATE killing the rats and so I just have my 2 bp's in the same tank now (theyre cuddling LOL) and the rat in the old tank .... so my question is, how often should I introduce my bp to the rat to see if he's hungry?

I don't want this to turn into an argument of frozen vs live .... Thanks
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 normal

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: A few Feeding Questions...

Your snakes are not cuddling. Ball pythons are solitary creatures and do not enjoy having company. You really should get those snakes separated as soon as possible. Since your snake refused to eat, I would not offer him the rat for at least another week. Try to get these snakes seperated soon and then give the one that is not feeding at least a week to adjust to the new conditions before trying to feed again.

Thanks
    I know they are to be kept separately but they are male and female (female is of breeding size/age/weight etc) so for now they are hanging out in the same (HUGE) tank while I am getting a rack purchased... But thanks I'll wait a week before I offer it to him again.
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 normal