Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,528

6 members and 3,522 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Dubia Breeding Questions

I'm going to start my own colony of dubias, but have a few questions that I cannot find the answers to on caresheets.

Will these guys attack/eat the gecko or lizard like crickets do if left in too long?

Does anyone know of any breeders that have adults for sale? (This seems improbable because of the cricket virus depleting everyone's dubia colonies)

How many adult/large dubias can thrive in a large storage bin?

What is the best way to screen the top of a dubia bin?

Does anyone know the approximate time-span of the dubia life cycle between xsmall, small, med, large, adult? How long does it take a dubia to reach the large stage? Adult stage?

Thanks guys,
    -JW

Thanks

Re: Dubia Breeding Questions

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    I'm going to start my own colony of dubias, but have a few questions that I cannot find the answers to on caresheets.

Will these guys attack/eat the gecko or lizard like crickets do if left in too long?

Havent seen it with my Beardies. Supposedly the roaches cant bite. Not sure about the permeability of a Gecko's skin though. They really dont last in my Beardies cages for more than a second anyways.

Does anyone know of any breeders that have adults for sale? (This seems improbable because of the cricket virus depleting everyone's dubia colonies)

I got mine from a local guy here in KC, he sells nice sized starter colonies. Not sure if he ships though. PM me if youd like his info. It came with a ton of adults with mixed nymphs. Like a 700-800ct starter colony. For a VERY reasonable price.

How many adult/large dubias can thrive in a large storage bin?

I keep mine in less than a 100qt and I have almost 2000 so far Id guess. PLENTY of room still. Id guess 5000 until I need to split the colony. In that amount Id guess I have a hundred adults

What is the best way to screen the top of a dubia bin?

Mines just a cutout and then the guy I got the starter colony from pretty much melted the metal screen to the underside of the lid, Id assume with a hot knife.

Does anyone know the approximate time-span of the dubia life cycle between xsmall, small, med, large, adult? How long does it take a dubia to reach the large stage? Adult stage?

LONG time, like 5-6 months haha. But with enough adult females you can really crank out some babies.

Thanks guys,
    -JW
    Last edited by 2kdime; 02-21-2011 at 10:43 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2kdime For This Useful Post:

blackcrystal22 (02-21-2011)

Thanks

I'm going to start my own colony of dubias, but have a few questions that I cannot find the answers to on caresheets. Will these guys attack/eat the gecko or lizard like crickets do if left in too long? Not that I have ever found. I've left some nymphs in and they've molted a time or two and I have never noticed any nibbling on my animals. Usually the nymphs just hide.

Does anyone know of any breeders that have adults for sale? (This seems improbable because of the cricket virus depleting everyone's dubia colonies) I bought my original colony from Ian at roachranch.com he is an AMAZING guy, spent 3 days answering all my questions in the worlds longest roach-related email chain. I also have bought from some on fauna. (go to the feeder section).

How many adult/large dubias can thrive in a large storage bin? A LOT. These guys, unlike crickets, can withstand a heavy, heavy population density, and like it. I can take some pictures of my colony, but I've got at least 500 adults and another 500 nymphs easy in a 64quart rubbermaid. I'll be ordering another 1000 nymphs. Whats interesting is the baby nymphs benefit from being with the adults because they eat their poop (frass) before eating regular food so you don't even want to clean the enclosure too often. I do 1x or 2x a year.

What is the best way to screen the top of a dubia bin? Cut out a square in the lid with scissors, use hot glue to put the screen in. Inside or outside it doesn't matter. I also went around the inside of the bin and put a layer of foil tape. They can't climb it. Sometimes, if the egg crates are stacked right or the babies get a static cling going they can reach the top.

Dubias take ..3-4 months to go from nymph to adult. I don't know the time between sizes though. Since I feed so heavily I've never actually bothered to check. They seem to molt slowly. I know the adults can live 12-14 months or something. I just started having dieoff of my original adults and my colony is 13 months old.

Ive had my colony going since Jan '10 and i will NEVER go back to another primary feeder. I supplement with mealworms but these roaches are AWESOME.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 02-21-2011 at 10:55 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

blackcrystal22 (02-21-2011)

Thanks

Hot glue gun! Did not think of that! What screen/mesh do you use? I assume it has to be fairly small in case of the babies.

I actually talked to Ian first! Unfortunately he's not selling any adults for the sake of getting his colony back up and running again after the high demand with the crickets gone.

I'm glad about the chewing thing. My Leo is sick and doesn't have an appetite for much lately, so I left a couple nymphs in there but I was worried they'd attack her.

2kdime, PM sent!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Hot glue gun! Did not think of that! What screen/mesh do you use? I assume it has to be fairly small in case of the babies.

I actually talked to Ian first! Unfortunately he's not selling any adults for the sake of getting his colony back up and running again after the high demand with the crickets gone.

I'm glad about the chewing thing. My Leo is sick and doesn't have an appetite for much lately, so I left a couple nymphs in there but I was worried they'd attack her.

2kdime, PM sent!

Thanks for all your help guys!
    The screen is door cloth or window screen, very fine. I got it with the starter kit I ordered from Ian with my original roaches, best thing ever. Also included were egg crates, water crystals and roach chow. Everything I needed to set up the bugs.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 02-22-2011 at 11:56 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

use metal screen not vinyl.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    When I got some, I found someone local on craigslist.

I just hot glued metal screen over where I cut out a bit of the top of my tub.

I got about 300 with a number of adults, and less than a year later I would have estimated I had multiple thousands of roaches.. super prolific.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 02-23-2011 at 12:05 PM.