Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,518

1 members and 2,517 guests
Lixx,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Please Help!!!

Thanks

Unhappy Please Help!!!

About an hour ago I was handling one of my bp's and I noticed a little whistling noise coming from her, I know this could be an early sign of RI, but I was wondering since it has just started would raising the humidity help it go away, my tanks humidity is moderate which is about 50-65%, or should I go ahead and plan a trip to the vet? I know that this question has probably been asked before but I'm panicking and dont know what to do...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Please Help!!!

Hi,

It won't hurt to raise it a little bit.

There are a few more signs of an RI though than just the whistling - if the snake is in shed or has a retained shed over its nostrils it can cause the noise when it breathes.

Are there any signs of excess mucus in the snakes mouth - any drooling or signs of it in the waterbowl or smeared on the cage furniture?

Do you see the snake spending a lot of time with its head raised and its mouth open?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also what are your temps? I've always heard of people raising the temps when they have a snake with RI. BPs can get RIs from temps that are too low.

Thanks
    I keep my temps up to 80 but no more than 85 during the day, and as low as 75 at nite.
    I've raised my humidity to the tropical range, and it seems to have helped and she seems to be more active. She isnt drooling and there isnt any mucus, nor is she holding her mouth open, and she has been eating really well. The only time she holds her head is when I have her out and she's exploring.
    I've just got her from a guy that didn't want her anymore, and she had 3 eye caps, which took some work to get off but I finally got them off, which left a little dent on her eye but it seems to be getting better.

Registered User masterofdestiny90's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Please Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GlassPython View Post
    I keep my temps up to 80 but no more than 85 during the day, and as low as 75 at nite.
    I've raised my humidity to the tropical range, and it seems to have helped and she seems to be more active. She isnt drooling and there isnt any mucus, nor is she holding her mouth open, and she has been eating really well. The only time she holds her head is when I have her out and she's exploring.
    I've just got her from a guy that didn't want her anymore, and she had 3 eye caps, which took some work to get off but I finally got them off, which left a little dent on her eye but it seems to be getting better.

You need to bump your temps up to 90 for a high and 80 for a low. Your humidity sounds fine though.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens". - J.R.R Tolkien

Thanks
    Sounds like you are measuring your temps and humidity with those round stick-on jobs that come with "snake set-ups". They don't really work well....

Please describe and/or take pictures of your set up. What are you using for heat, do you have a thermostat controlling it? 80* is for sure too low. I am guessing that is ambient air temp in the tank?
    - Dave Harms - www.wax32.com | Pinstripe, Yellow Belly, Sulfur, Cinnamon ph G-Stripe, Pastel het Hypo | Pastel, Fire, Albino, Mojave, Lesser Platinum ph G-Stripe, Pastel ph G-Stripe, het G-Stripe, het Hypo, het Piebald, Pastel Yellowbelly

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    80 is pretty low for the warm side, even 85 is a tad low. I try to keep mine at 92 and my cool side is 80. A friend of mine had a snake get RI from 75 degree temps. I'm not sure if breeding makes BPs more prone to RIs, but it happened.