Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,717

4 members and 2,713 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How long do winter fasts last?

Hello all,
    Our female BP turned 1 in August and is currently on her first fast Her last meal was at the end of December and we had just bumped her feed size up the previous 2 feedings. Just wondering how long on average these fasts last. We had her at a comfortable 14 day feeding cycle and she has always been a very good feeder. I keep offering her food (back down to the smaller size she was on before) ever 2weeks and she comes out for, licks it than goes back in her hide. Temps and humidity are all same and the enclosure hasn't changed in a year 2 identical hides, lots of ground cover yadda yadda yadda.

Also could the bumping up of the feed size right before the winter season have triggered the fast? i.e) fattened her up too much and triggered a hibernation type behavior?

Thanks

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How long do winter fasts last?

BP do not brumate (hibernate) winter fast vary from one animal to another can go for a few weeks to a few months I had animals fast for 6 to 9 months.

Bottom line keep monitoring your animal and make sure husbandry is on spot, make sure he animal is well hydrated and wait it out, when your BP will be ready it will eat.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Dont worry about her my 6mo old bp stopped eating around second week of december i just kept offering him his meals on schedule he last ate mid january and is fasting again.

Thanks

I have checked and double checked that temps, hide and humidity are where they should be but I cant help but feel like it is my fault they are not eating - it really helps to hear someone with your experience say that you just have to wait it out.

It is sooo hard not to worry.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    I have checked and double checked that temps, hide and humidity are where they should be but I cant help but feel like it is my fault they are not eating - it really helps to hear someone with your experience say that you just have to wait it out.

knowing you snake can go a year+ without eating, it pretty easy not to worry, it can be frustrating when your trying to get them up to size, but as for worrying about their health, there nothing to worry about there. Like said above, make sure your husbandry is correct and enjoy not having to clean poop every week.

Thanks

Yup I hear you! I think I just came on here for moral support LOL. She really is a great feeder, I half expected it with the way she was putting on weight the last few months. Still it's frustrating to have an animal not eat for almost 8 weeks! She is still responsive to the food just not in eating it. sigh...

Thanks
    I got a girl going on 7 months now, i'm still not worried and shes only lost 60 grams in the entire time shes been fasting. I try and keep attempting to feed, but she has no interest, oh well.

Gotta love pythons, they just fast for months at a time, then they come back like nothing ever happened and get better than ever before.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

Luckily I don't do any breeding - mine are just pets but it stills aint easy to watch them go month after month and not eat.

You just feel helpless
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks

Luckily I don't do any breeding - mine are just pets but it stills aint easy to watch them go month after month and not eat.

You just feel helpless
    I am in the same situation, no breeding here either, and its sooo hard not to worry!! My Athena is 1 year old and is already 1800 grams. i got her last may at 7 months old as a gift, and shes my one and only. So as far as feeding, she was on large med rats until winter came, now i am offering her lg mice instead because i know i can only refreeze them once and the rats are way more expensive! Glad spring is right around the corner. last time she ate was 1/27/11

Thanks

Don't worry about it at all. My het pied girl hit the 900g wall and she hasn't eaten in about 2.5-3 months. She still does her typical roaming the cage in the evening and hasn't lost much weight. You just gotta wait it out and keep offering, sooner or later it will get hungry. Just think of it as, if the snake isn't sick, there is no chance that it will intentionally starve itself.
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast