Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,942

3 members and 2,939 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thinking About Starting A Small Breeding Business

I've had a passion for and have been keeping reptiles since I was a little kid. Over the period of this last year or so I've really thought alot of trying my hand at breeding bp morphs and misc colubrids. I've added some really nice animals to my collection. Im basically all set up for breeding now and will be ready for the 2011/2012 season. It's still just a hobby at this point but i would love more than anything in the world to make a living breeding reptiles and maybe one day open a reptile and supply store. I've been putting back money every month and as far as that aspect goes I can make it happen. My family thinks im crazy for even imagining I can make a living at something like this. I know the market is pretty flooded with all the breeders out there today. Just wondering what your guy's opinion is on this. Do you think a 31 y/o guy who has a passion for reptiles like nothing else has a decent chance at starting at the bottom, probably w/ an online store and actually being able to turn this into my lively hood?

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    .1 Jungle Corn .1 Pueblan Milk
    .1 Rosy Boa 1 False Water Cobra
    2 Painted Turtles 1 Stink Pot
    1 Miniature Pinscher
    http://www.youtube.com/1980norcal

Thanks

Re: Thinking About Starting A Small Breeding Business

Quote Originally Posted by nor_cal1980 View Post
    I've had a passion for and have been keeping reptiles since I was a little kid. Over the period of this last year or so I've really thought alot of trying my hand at breeding bp morphs and misc colubrids. I've added some really nice animals to my collection. Im basically all set up for breeding now and will be ready for the 2011/2012 season. It's still just a hobby at this point but i would love more than anything in the world to make a living breeding reptiles and maybe one day open a reptile and supply store. I've been putting back money every month and as far as that aspect goes I can make it happen. My family thinks im crazy for even imagining I can make a living at something like this. I know the market is pretty flooded with all the breeders out there today. Just wondering what your guy's opinion is on this. Do you think a 31 y/o guy who has a passion for reptiles like nothing else has a decent chance at starting at the bottom, probably w/ an online store and actually being able to turn this into my lively hood?
    In my opinion, it would be pretty tough to make a living at breeding snakes. That is not to say that it couldn't happen, but it would take a lot of work, and would cost a lot to setup. You would need many high-end morphs to start with. Morph selection would be key.

Advertising and building your reputation is the only way that you will make it in the online snake business. This takes time. If I were you, I would start off small to see how you like it, and then expand over time. This would give you time to build your reputation. I would not jump right into it. Many people have tried jumping in to realize that it was not what they thought. That is why you see so many collections for sale all of the time.

Good luck.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

Chris Behof (02-22-2011),nor_cal1980 (02-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    In my opinion, it would be pretty tough to make a living at breeding snakes. That is not to say that it couldn't happen, but it would take a lot of work, and would cost a lot to setup. You would need many high-end morphs to start with. Morph selection would be key.

Advertising and building your reputation is the only way that you will make it in the online snake business. This takes time. If I were you, I would start off small to see how you like it, and then expand over time. This would give you time to build your reputation. I would not jump right into it. Many people have tried jumping in to realize that it was not what they thought. That is why you see so many collections for sale all of the time.

Good luck.
    Thank you for the advise...I think ill definitely just keep my collection where its at now ( maybe pick up a few more key co- doms along the way) * grins* and see what I can produce and how it goes. In the area were I live there are lots and lots of reptile enthusiasts and the nearest real reptile and supply store is 50 or 60 miles away....Im just hoping I can successfully breed some nice animals and one day open my own shop....I know it sounds like a pipe dream but it is what i would love to do with my life...thank you for the input....allways appreciated!!

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    My opinion, you can be successful at anything you decide to set your mind to. It takes time and some patience in this industry along with some luck here and there and the drive to be competitive because there's alot of competition out there. It's like the old saying "Rome wasnt built in a day,"
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iCandiBallPythons For This Useful Post:

SERPENT_MASTERS (03-02-2011)

Thanks

Where in CA are you located? I don't see many people from nor cal on here, it's nice to have someone else! haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardenfiend138 View Post
    Where in CA are you located? I don't see many people from nor cal on here, it's nice to have someone else! haha
    Im up in the foothills in Calaveras County....I love Santa Cruz and the Santa Cruz Mountains.... Your lucky to live in such a beautiful area

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks
    My parents use to say " You can do anything you want and be what you want as long as you set your mind to it." " Make a goal for yourself one that is attainable, and don't stop at nothing till you obtain that goal, and when you do set another goal, and another and continue, till all your goals are obtained, then set another." " You will not get nothing in life given to you, unless you work at it and give it to yourself, trust what you can do, know your limits, and strive to stretch your limits, and all your dreams and wishes will be yours." When i was 10,11 or even 16 years old I hated hearing this. I'm now 35 and realize that I may not have a lot in materialistic things, but what I do have, whats mine, was and is my dreams my goals, my life. I have a small breeding program, not to support my family, but to have my name out there, not toe Bob Clark but to be me, so that if I die tomorrow, then I k ow that what I did, how I got here and what I wanted out of life is mine. Good luck to you, Keep your head up, and all will be yours, but as stated above it will take time and will not be yours for the taking tomorrow.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jadonh For This Useful Post:

nor_cal1980 (02-28-2011),SERPENT_MASTERS (03-02-2011),The Bears (07-07-2011)

Thanks
    From a dude born and raised right accross the river from you (Sonora/Tuolumne Co.), I say you go for it man. There are TONS of Rept enthusiasts in our area. All there is are a few mom and pop pet stores in both counties, hence NOTHING that has abundant reptile supplies/animals.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cdavidson9 For This Useful Post:

nor_cal1980 (02-28-2011)

Thanks

thanks for the words of wisdom guys!! it means alot

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts
    The answer to your question is: Of course you can. The question that is missing before a really valid answer can be given is: How lavish is your lifestyle? If you are a fairly modest individuaol and don't need alot of non-necessities, then it is a very easy goal to meet. If you require more lavish items, then you will have to work alot harder, but it can still be done as well.

If your passion is that great, then your store will reflect it, and your customers will value it. That will keep the money coming, and referrals will be your biggest seller. There are many pet stores out there, but how many of them have you been to, that you walked out of and didn't have a complaint. Do it better than anyone else, and you can't fail.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

15. The Following User Says Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

nor_cal1980 (02-28-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast