Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 502

0 members and 502 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Oh okay! Thanks for clarifying that.

Thanks
    I love the idea of the mounting board taped down to the plastic grated racks! I have those exact racks in black, so I'll defiitely be setting those up with some mounting boards this week Thank you!
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    I plan on using tubs as my quarantine system and I really like the idea of mounting the UTH to a board that sits under the tub to make for easier moving, cleaning etc.. I had some extra pieces of panel board left over from a rack I just built and was wondering if it would be safe more me to mount the UTH directly to the panel board and place the tub over it? I know melamine is the favorite wood on this board, but I figured if I could I would just make use of what I have.

Thanks
    I'm about to setup a 30q (Iris MCB-L) tub and want to know the minimum amount of holes I should start with (I'm a bit nervous about humidity levels after my fiasco with my tank experience), but want to make sure he's got enough ventilation in there. The tub will be in my bedroom so there will be a/c, and temps around 75.

I've heard of putting holes low on hot side & higher on cool side, and then seen where holes are just drilled all the way around the top, so please be as specific as you can. Thx for any/all help.

Oh, one other thing, I was told it was a necessity to cover 3 sides of my tank but I haven't seen one person mention doing so with a tub...is it ok without it?
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Vypyrz Tub Set-Up, The Basics...*DUW*

Quote Originally Posted by Brion99 View Post
    I'm about to setup a 30q (Iris MCB-L) tub and want to know the minimum amount of holes I should start with (I'm a bit nervous about humidity levels after my fiasco with my tank experience), but want to make sure he's got enough ventilation in there. The tub will be in my bedroom so there will be a/c, and temps around 75.

I've heard of putting holes low on hot side & higher on cool side, and then seen where holes are just drilled all the way around the top, so please be as specific as you can. Thx for any/all help.

Oh, one other thing, I was told it was a necessity to cover 3 sides of my tank but I haven't seen one person mention doing so with a tub...is it ok without it?
    The number of holes really depends on where you are located. I would say maybe start with about 5-6 evenly spaced holes on the front and back. Set the tub up with heat, water bowls, etc, and watch it for a day or so. If the humidity is too high, then you can add a few more holes, until the humidity comes down to where you need it. What works for me is making two rows of holes on the front and back. I space the holes about 2 inches apart. Most tubs are small enough that placing the holes lower on one end and higher on the other is not needed. That is something that usually works for larger custom melamine and PVC enclosures.

Since most tubs are opaque and not clear, it is usually not necessary to black out the sides, unless you want to.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Brion99 (11-05-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    The number of holes really depends on where you are located. I would say maybe start with about 5-6 evenly spaced holes on the front and back. Set the tub up with heat, water bowls, etc, and watch it for a day or so. If the humidity is too high, then you can add a few more holes, until the humidity comes down to where you need it. What works for me is making two rows of holes on the front and back. I space the holes about 2 inches apart. Most tubs are small enough that placing the holes lower on one end and higher on the other is not needed. That is something that usually works for larger custom melamine and PVC enclosures.

Since most tubs are opaque and not clear, it is usually not necessary to black out the sides, unless you want to.
    Well I put 5 holes in each side (wanted to start low), put in the water bowl, and put down newspaper and the numbers were ok....humidity was in the 53ish range (I'd give 'em now but the water dish spilled and it's all off....gonna go to Wal-Mart in a bit and get something more sturdy), but my worry now is if just those 5 holes is enough for a 30qt tub.....dunno how you put so many holes in and kept the humidity. This is really coming down to crunch time as I'm planning on going to the Tampa expo on Saturday and picking up something and want to make sure it's all setup when I get home. I'm still pretty new to all this (especially tubs) and still get really nervous about having the setup right so help is extremely appreciated.

Oh, I tried the bungee cord thing and there was no way I could get them on & off without a massive disturbance in the tub so I'm just gonna put something heavy on top until I can find some kinda strap thing that I can loosen & tighten when takin the top on/off without scaring the hell outta the snake & upsetting the whole cage....any ideas?
    Last edited by Brion99; 11-11-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Well I put 5 holes in each side (wanted to start low), put in the water bowl, and put down newspaper and the numbers were ok....humidity was in the 53ish range (I'd give 'em now but the water dish spilled and it's all off....gonna go to Wal-Mart in a bit and get something more sturdy), but my worry now is if just those 5 holes is enough for a 30qt tub.....dunno how you put so many holes in and kept the humidity. This is really coming down to crunch time as I'm planning on going to the Tampa expo on Saturday and picking up something and want to make sure it's all setup when I get home. I'm still pretty new to all this (especially tubs) and still get really nervous about having the setup right so help is extremely appreciated.

Oh, I tried the bungee cord thing and there was no way I could get them on & off without a massive disturbance in the tub so I'm just gonna put something heavy on top until I can find some kinda strap thing that I can loosen & tighten when takin the top on/off without scaring the hell outta the snake & upsetting the whole cage....any ideas?
    Did you have the UTH on while you were checking it?
    I keep my humidity up by using larger UTH's that cover about 1/2 of my tubs floor space. This allows me to place the water bowls over the UTH so it evaporates faster.

When you go to Wal-Mart, check in the luggage aisle and see if they have any luggage straps. I like them better than bungee cords because they are flat, and adjustable. They don't have to be super tight. Just tight enough to keep the lid from raising.
    Last edited by Vypyrz; 11-11-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: after thought

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Did you have the UTH on while you were checking it?
    I keep my humidity up by using larger UTH's that cover about 1/2 of my tubs floor space. This allows me to place the water bowls over the UTH so it evaporates faster.

When you go to Wal-Mart, check in the luggage aisle and see if they have any luggage straps. I like them better than bungee cords because they are flat, and adjustable. They don't have to be super tight. Just tight enough to keep the lid from raising.
    Yeah, I have a good size UTH, but I kept the water on the cool side thinking that I'd put it on the hot side when I needed a boost for sheds. Should I put it over the UTH and maybe just add another water source when I need to raise it?...and I'll check on those straps, thx.
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Should I put it over the UTH and maybe just add another water source when I need to raise it?...and I'll check on those straps, thx.
    That's pretty much what I do. I have some smaller water bowls that I will put in my smaller tubs if they need a boost. The water bowls that I use in my larger tubs are big enough that the humidity stays pretty much the same.

Thanks

Thermostat probe

The tubs in my rack from boaphile fit tight to the bottom of the rack and there is no space to tape to probe to the bottom of the tub. Would place the probe on the side of the tub by the heat tape be efficient or would it be better to tape it to the bottom/inside of the tub?
    0.4 Normal
    0.3 Lemonblast
    0.2 Spider
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Piebald
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Citrus Pastel Calico
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Epic Lemonblast
    1.0 Pastel Mystic

"The Harder You Work, The Luckier You Get." -Gary Player

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast