Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 483

1 members and 482 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Thermometers?

Thanks

Question Thermometers?

How many Thermometers do I need in an enclosure considering there is a thermostat on the hot side? Digital or Analogue?
    Also, where should the Hydrometer be placed?

Thanks

Re: Thermometers?

Absolutely no analog! There junk. I use one unit I mentioned in your other post, the acurite 00891 probe for hot side and unit placed on cool for cool temp and humidity. It's very accurate and you don't have to buy 2 thermometers and 1 hygrometer since the acurite gives all the readings. Just go to amazon UK and type in acurite 00891, it is 42.12 but it would probably be about the same price to buy 3 separate units but with the acurite you will have accurate readings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

Archer (06-17-2016)

Thanks

I searched accurate 00891 in both amazon and eBay, but can only find it from sellers shipping from outside the UK (which means import charges and high delivery prices).
    As I only seem to need one, do you think an 'Exo Terra Digital Combination Thermometer/Hydrometer' would be good enough? Thanks.

Thanks

I have found that thermometers labeled for reptiles are not accurate. I have a few zoomed ones that are off 5-10 degrees and another that is off 17 degrees, they are just sitting collecting dust in a drawer. I have an all living things brand thermometer/hygrometer that the temp is correct but the hygrometer is off and really touchy, if you mist a little it goes up to 99% and takes 45 minutes to drop and still reads 25% off. I don't have experience with exo Terra thermometers unfortunately, the only way to test them is if you have something you know the temperature of and see if it matches. You can do salt test for a hygrometer and see how much it is off and just remember to add or subtract whatever it is off by. I would just look at reviews and if possible test it when you get it. If you can find a probed one that isn't for reptiles I would find whichever has the best reviews, either way find one with really good reviews and read the negative reviews to see what people didn't like about them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

Archer (06-17-2016)

Thanks

I seen on eBay the additional cost for acurite 00891. Your currency is Euro correct? Starught from the manufacturer is 19.99 USD and on amazon with shipping is $18 USD and on eBay UK with the fees it is about 22 Euro so that would be about $24 USD so that is only $6 more than what someone in the USA pays. Unless I'm missing something or didn't use the right currency or didn't calculate correctly.

Thanks
    It's best to have the ability to monitor temps on your warm side and cool side. You can use two, or as the others have said above, you can use one that has a probe that runs to the other side. I personally like having two units so I can see the humidity on both sides, but that's just me. I use accurites and I paid about $10/each for them at Walmart in the US.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

My currency is Pounds, I really appreciate you going to the trouble of looking into that for me, thanks!