Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,655

1 members and 2,654 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

New Bull Snake Behavior

Just wanted to check if my little gal was acting in a common bull snake way. She came home yesterday morning, looked around for maybe half hour , pooped and went into her cool hide and stayed there until this morning. This morning she shed (perfectly I might add) and than it was back into the cool hide, no more coming out for the rest of today.

I know my pythons were pretty lazy, ball python would come out every evening to roam, sumatran short tail (black blood) was really lazy. But I have no experience with any Colubrid. So I just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior for a newly introduced Bull Snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: New Bull Snake Behavior

Quote Originally Posted by beaglegod View Post
    Just wanted to check if my little gal was acting in a common bull snake way. She came home yesterday morning, looked around for maybe half hour , pooped and went into her cool hide and stayed there until this morning. This morning she shed (perfectly I might add) and than it was back into the cool hide, no more coming out for the rest of today.

I know my pythons were pretty lazy, ball python would come out every evening to roam, sumatran short tail (black blood) was really lazy. But I have no experience with any Colubrid. So I just wanted to make sure this was normal behavior for a newly introduced Bull Snake.
    She pooped - good.
    She had a perfect shed - good

New acquisitions take awhile to get comfortable with their new digs, plus she's young (right?) which means that she is even more cautious about being out in the open.

With the exception of cleaning and feeding, leave her alone until she settles in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

beaglegod (02-19-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks for that skip will leave her be and keep my 5 yr old's nose away from her enclosure too.

One last thing I was wondering about, I was planning on feeding in a separate container since she has shredded aspen in her enclosure, do you think taking her out to feed will cause too much stress, or should I try feeding in her enclosure. Maybe I can put some newspaper inside and wiggle the prey item over it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beaglegod View Post
    Thanks for that skip will leave her be and keep my 5 yr old's nose away from her enclosure too.

One last thing I was wondering about, I was planning on feeding in a separate container since she has shredded aspen in her enclosure, do you think taking her out to feed will cause too much stress, or should I try feeding in her enclosure. Maybe I can put some newspaper inside and wiggle the prey item over it.
    The only reason to feed a snake in a separate container is in the case in which two are housed together. In that situation, you separate them to prevent inintended cannibalism.

For all of my young snakes, I use a tiny glass bowl (like the ones chefs use for measuring out seasonings/spices. I place the prey item in the tiny bowl.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 02-19-2011 at 10:58 AM.