Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

4 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding Question?

I have a 2010 Female Fire Ball Python who hasn't eatin for about two weeks. I know BP's are famous for going off food but usually not until full grown. This girl is currently 268 grams. When should I become seriously concerned and what can i do to entice her to eat....Thanks

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    .1 Jungle Corn .1 Pueblan Milk
    .1 Rosy Boa 1 False Water Cobra
    2 Painted Turtles 1 Stink Pot
    1 Miniature Pinscher
    http://www.youtube.com/1980norcal

Thanks
    What have you tried feeding?

Thanks

Re: Feeding Question?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWinWizard View Post
    What have you tried feeding?
    First a f/t weaned rat....then a live weaned rat....then a fresh killed/stunned weaned rat....then a live adult mouse....then a fresh killed/stunned adult mouse. The only thing I haven't tried yet are african soft furred....any suggestions?

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks

anybody?

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks
    what did you she before the fast? the same thing won't work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nor_cal1980 View Post
    anybody?
    Hey there. What I have noticed in my own collection, is that some bp's are VERY picky about not only the temperature of their food, but also how long the thawing process took. My greatest success rate has been to take however many rats I need to heat up, toss em in a large ziplock bag, and put them in my empty incubator set at 100* (while the 'bator is cool and starting to work to get to temp). I leave them in there until they are warm. This isn't so much an instructional on what you should do for your particular situation, but to bring some variables to your attention so that you can narrow down the cause.

Also any time they refuse to feed, it's good to double check your husbandry; temps, humidity, etc. and make sure everything is copasetic.

How long have you had em? What is the enclosure like?

As for when to worry about a lil guy not eating, I couldn't really tell you. All of my snakes I have purchased as sub-adults. You are right, it is perfectly normal for them to go off of food for quite a long time. It happens to us all, the important thing is that your baby doesn't drop a lot of weight. As long as she is healthy and your husbandry is on spot, I would not worry yet.

Bah, there is so much. Last tidbit: my one girl refuses to eat anything that is not pure white. I've heard that's not too uncommon.

Anyways, I hope this was able to help you, or at least get the conversation flowing in a way that will provide some results for ya.
    0.1 '05 Het. Hypo - Lelu
    1.0 '06 Hypo - Chester ; 0.1 '11 hypo holdback
    0.1 '07 Woma - Cleopatra aka Cleo
    1.0 '11 Pinstripe het hypo
    0.1 '06 German Shepard Runt - Mika (me-kuh)
    "it's not like cool-aide. its like..you know that powder that you put in water that makes it flavored" -you know who you are

Thanks
    Blog Entries

2 weeks wouldn't worry me to much, if she isn't loosing much weight. It seems that you have tried a lot of food types in a very short period of time though. Did you try all of these different types of food in the 2 weeks, or was I reading this wrong. When my bp's go off food I try to leave them completely alone until their next feeding day the following week. If you try to feed to often the bp my become stressed and then continue to refuse food..
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonboy4578 View Post
    2 weeks wouldn't worry me to much, if she isn't loosing much weight. It seems that you have tried a lot of food types in a very short period of time though. Did you try all of these different types of food in the 2 weeks, or was I reading this wrong. When my bp's go off food I try to leave them completely alone until their next feeding day the following week. If you try to feed to often the bp my become stressed and then continue to refuse food..
    Yeah i was definitely worried about that because of heard that before. When she refused food the first time I left her alone for about four day's then I offered her the live weaned rat. She seemed interested at first but then she kinda got scared of the rat moving around. She's been on frozen thawed most of her life. So i stunned the rat and she still didn't want it. Next day tried the same process with a mouse. So yeah, now im gonna leave her be for a few day's again. I keep my bp's on unprinted news paper. I put her on repti bark since i last tried to feed her...hope that might make a difference...She hasn't lost weight yet but the only reason im concerned is she's still very much a growing girl. I know bp's go off food but i thought not until they're grown. Just worried this might be linked to another health problem

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Thanks
    Generally you'll see especially girls
    Go feed at a year or so. I have some
    Picky ones and sometimes to figure them out it's a process.Start with husbandry, and work your way out to different feeders and lastly could be illness. But if your husbandry is
    On time it is probably just stress or her Just being picky. If you give her some time alone and just try offering what she was on before I'm sure she will resume feeding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    Generally you'll see especially girls
    Go feed at a year or so. I have some
    Picky ones and sometimes to figure them out it's a process.Start with husbandry, and work your way out to different feeders and lastly could be illness. But if your husbandry is
    On time it is probably just stress or her Just being picky. If you give her some time alone and just try offering what she was on before I'm sure she will resume feeding.
    my husbandry seems to be right on target...about 92 inside her hot hide and about 82 inside her cool hide w/ an ambient at about 80. Humidity stays right around 55%. I don't know her exact age but she's a 2010 and judging by her size i think she's around 8 or 9 months. I keep trying to think of changes i've made. The only thing i've changed is i moved all the water bowls inside my bp's tubs to about the middle of the tub to keep humidity up without misting. I also have a normal girl.. Same age and size who is starting to be real hard to get to eat for me also...i really have to entise her to get her to eat...i dunno

1.1 Fire Ballz 1 Pastel
    1 Mojave .1 Normal
    .1 Pinstripe 2 Corns
    1 Miniature Pinscher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast