Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,783

4 members and 2,779 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Ball activity, kinda nervous need tips please

So I am using a glass aquarium, I know its frowned upon but it was free and I am about a day away from having the complete proper heating and environmental control equipment. I have been maintaining the temp with towls over and such and different lamps. I have a uth on a thermostat, and during the day I was using a Basking lamp for temp, and at night infared. I have only had him for 3 days. the first two days I was switching lights day and night. Now however I am going to run the infared for ambient all the time, and use seperate uths and t-stats for each side to be at optimal temps. The first night I didnt get home until about 11 so I couldnt switch out his light tell then, he was very playful and adventurous around 1 am. Tonight relying on the ambient light from my windows as a day night cycle, it was dark closer to 6ish and he was very playful and such around 8... Is his activity directly related to his day night cycle? or is something wrong. I am probably just looking to far into it and freaking out. But I am a first time ball owner and I want to keep him happy , btw his current temps are around 87 basking side and 75 cool side, and once I get the other heating equipment tomorrow my temps will be much more properly controlled. Will someone please explain the activity fluctuation though? I just dont know and need advice to calm my mind

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Ball activity, kinda nervous need tips please

The early activity may be partially due to the light cycle, but I would suspect some of it is due to the stress of a new enclosure and new environment. It usually takes about a week or so of being left alone for them to get adjusted and settled in. I would say just leave him alone as much as possible for the next few days. It sounds like you may be doing some tank maintenance in the coming days. If you have to move him to do this, go ahead, just don't handle him any more than is absolutely necessary. Once you get the tank done, and after he's had a couple more days to adjust, try feeding him. If he eats then let him digest for 2 days, then it should be ok to start handling him a little more...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Alright, thank you And Ya I have to do a little bit to make the tank more comfortable for him but after that I will leave him be for a while. HE just started moving around which was relieving, but once again thanks for the advice. I dont know what I would do without these forums.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

What size tank are you using? How's your humidity? And have you thought about insulating the tank some to help hold in heat?
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Its a 55, I know thats large especially for a baby, but as I stated... It is free. I am also putting lots of things in the tank so he feels safe, multiple hides, I know its not necessary but possibly a climbing stick, because I have read they arent natural tree climbers but they will climb, and it will take up space to make him feel more comfortable . Would you recommend any plants? My humidity is around 65 but thats also right next to the water dish so that is slightly skewed, but in the middle and on the basking side its closer to 55ish. Today I am going to home depot to get some Shelf liner to black it out, I was most likely going to go with a similar set up to the tank in this thread, http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...p-w-pics-*DUW* , And once I get my other uth, t-stat, and a few other things im getting today I will post pictures of his set up.

Thanks
    He might be a little stressed out but it is natural for them to come out in the dark. That is quite common. He may be hungry as well. Wait a few days and offer him food.

Also bump up the temps a bit. 91 on the heat and 83 on the cool side. Just mistt he tank a few times a day until you get everything set up to help raise humidity.

Hope this helps you
    Check us out on Facebook at LockDown Exotics
    https://www.facebook.com/lockdownpets

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    He'll eventually grow into the 55 gallon, and as an adult he'll really appreciate it. In the mean time, give him lots of hides. Remember they like hides small and tight, especially at this age.

I agree with the above posters, he's probably still settling in. (They also usually explore a new enclosure very thoroughly in the first few days.) Give him a week or two to get used to the new home, then you'll have a better idea of his baseline activity level.

But give him extra hiding spaces for now. If you're really worried about stress, you can crumble paper up and fill the bottom few inches that way. Burying themselves in crumpled paper works wonders on stressed babies, though it'll be bad for your humidity in the long run.