Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,532

3 members and 1,529 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: New Cavie owner

Thanks

New Cavie owner

I just recently got a guinea pig for my fiancee for valentines day, though we both adore him equally. However he is sneezing a lot and has a lot of hard little eye boogers coming from the corners of his eyes. It's scaring me that he may have the infamous respiratory infection. I don't have a lot of money so I can't really afford to take him to the vet till I get paid.

He is very active during the day, loves to eat timothy hay, oranges, and the pellet mix I got at pet smart when I bought him. I'm just concerned that he may have something wrong with him. He's still a baby pretty much, I'd say 2-3 months old.

Any suggestions as to how I can verify if he is sick or not? I'm already attached to the lil booger and it's only been 3 days.

Thanks guys.

Thanks

Re: New Cavie owner

What kind of bedding are you using?

Registered User girlundertherainbow's Avatar
    Thanks

Cavies

Bedding is the first question -
    cedar is the worst.. if it's cedar or a mix of cedar or you even think it could be, dump it all and use newspaper until you can get something else.
    Pine is used commonly, but alot of people have allergies to pine (myself included) and some as well. Even if many use it and swear it's OK.. it's not too many steps down from cedar imho as far as the amount of phenols it releases (smell from the oils) and I would not recommend it either really. Aspen is the best choice. Some use carefresh , it's safe (for cavies) I just found the odor a little much and it's expensive.
    Oranges are good.. Kale as well, has alot of vit c in it, and you can use human grade liquid or disolve, tablet, vit c in water. But first and foremost, if seemingly everything else is covered and there may be a RI starting, I'd talk to a vet. They can come on fast and hard in cavies, but usually a vet can give some IV c, maybe some dex, and antibiotics for a quick recovery before it gest worse.
    ON a side note.. dusty hay can also do it.. but I'd rule out RI first. Good luck!

Registered User girlundertherainbow's Avatar
    Thanks

also..

Did you get the cavie from Petsmart? (just realized the food was from there so though maybe from there as well)
    if so.. I'd get it to a vet as soon as possible. I know you may not be able to now..but when you can.