Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,170

1 members and 1,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Other snake may have RI!

hey guys.

yesterday when my BF was holding our JCP in the bed room we heard some hissing sounds coming from her..it sounds more like weezing really so i think she has an RI. we will be taking her to the vet ASAP!

my question involves my BP. even though the two are never (and i mean NEVER) in the same room.. we only live in a one bedroom apt and the living room is about as far away as i can get my boy from my BFs JCP in our bed room..(i try to keep the bedroom door closed as much as possible)

is the RI that the JCP has contagious to casper? how should i go about handling procedures? i would just die if casper got sick!

thanks for the help in the mean time!

(oops i ment to post in husbandry)
    Last edited by Ergo Proxy; 02-14-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: ment to put in other forum!
    Ball pythons 2.1.0
    Casper - Hypo -m, Java - Cinni - f, Malikai - Cinni - m

Jungle Carpet python 0.1.0
    Proxy

Thanks

Re: Other snake may have RI!

It is highly contagious. Just make sure you keep them seperate. Try and sanitize after you handle your carpet. I had a gtp python that was brought to me with RI. I have a three bedroom house though, so it was fairly easy to be safe. I never went into my ball room wearing the same clothes if I had handled the gtp that day, and made sure to wash my hands and arms good.

I would be sure to ask your vet plenty of questions. I know it's easily contracted through the air, but I don't know about your clothes. He might request any clothes you wear while handling the carpet need to stay out of the bedroom. I don't know if you can get some lysol and just spray yourself down or not.

I also think it's at least a month after the carpet gets rid of his symptoms you can stop worrying. I hope he gets better for you soon, and everything turns out fine. I do know RI is dangerous, and can spread through a whole collection in no time. Good luck!
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

Re: Other snake may have RI!

Since its a virus and is spread by air mostly, and tend to be incredibly agressive it seems, i suggest you do as the other post says <.<

Thanks
    What I would do is'raise your temp to 90,then bring your humidity to 60 or 70 percent then when the gunk starts to serface clean its mouth with a booger sucker and some papertowls.This will help till you can get it to the vet.also do it after you get her backbecause it will make her better faster.I've been dealing with respirtory for quite a long time.I do some rescuses on balls and some are so sick I have to take them to the vet but some I can cure without taking by doing what I said with the hum.and temp.control the temp as much as poss.do not let it fluxuate more than 4 degrees either way and after about a month it should be gone depending on how bad it is.but some cases arenot resp.some can be pyromixo virus that will mostlikly kill any animal it comes into contact with so be very careful not to cotract it to your ball.not saying thats what it is because im not a vet,just watch for blood in the throat and mouth and make sure you clean out the breathing hole on the roof of the mouth that leads to the nose and then if she wants to eat feed her as much as she wants it will help build her amune system.if she is 3 or 4 ft in length or bigger a small rat is good,but if she is smaller an extra small is better.also be very careful and DONOT break her teeth it could kill her.good luck I hope this helps