Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,063

4 members and 3,059 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Need Serious Opinions on STRANGE "object" that my male ball python "passed"

OK, this "thing" was found in my ball python's tub this evening. I have no idea what to think of it. Here's two pics of what I found in the tub. More descriptions and pics to follow these first pics.

Now, some descriptions. There was a normal solid waste and "pee" in the tub. No real amount of blood in the tub, but there is some small amount of blood on the vent area of the python. Here's the elimination (weird object removed):

And here's the vent area (sorry, it's a little washed out by the flash):

The area above the vent seems puffy, like there is something else in there. I have probed this python and it is male, and was also sold to me as male by a reputable breeder. He has also locked up with a female this breeding season and I've caught him doing normal male courtship activities.

Now, some description of the "object": it seems to be "anatomical". It does not seem like a foreign object. It also seems to have vessels on it. I would describe it as a very thin, yet stable (it did not rupture when I lifted it with tongs) connective tissue-like sac. It is full of an aqueous fluid, with no air inside. The fluid does not seem viscous. There is NO odor coming from this thing either. I did not rupture it because I plan to take it into the vet office with the python tomorrow. There does NOT seem to be ANY indication that this "object" was once attached to the python's anatomy...no tear, no other 'tissue", no structure that would indicate an entry/exit into/out of the "object, nothing! Here are some closer pics of the "object":

Other that some "puffy" feeling as described above, the python seems fine.

PLEASE, don't just reply, "Take it to the Vet!". I fully intend to do that, but have to wait until the morning. BUT, if ANYONE has any insight whatsoever as to what the heck this is, I'd be eternally grateful to get info.

Much thanks in advance!
    Cheers,
    Jessica Gibbs

www.supercoilconstrictors.com
    Balls, Corns, Bci, Bcl, Bco & Morelia

Thanks

Re: Need Serious Opinions on STRANGE "object" that my male ball python "passed"

I have no idea, but that is crazy. Kind of looks like a translucent egg

Thanks
    My thoughts exactly Spitzu, but this is a male so that should not be possible. Or is it possible that during the lock something was introduced in the male's body and developed?
    I don't get what happened here, very curious what the vet will say.

1.0.0 Python Regius Spider 66% poss. het. Ghost, nk juli 2010
    0.1.0 Python Regius Normal, nk dec 2010
    0.1.0 Python Regius Pastel, nk okt 2011
    0.1.0 Python Regius Cinnamon, nk 2012
    0.1.0 Lampropeltis Getula Californiae Stripe, nk aug 2008
    1.0.0 Lampropeltis Getula Nigrita, nk 2003

Thanks
    The "object was soft, and the casing was extremely thin. I don't believe it to be any sort of egg, from a snake (even considering that the animal may be hermaphrodite- don't even know if that is possible in BP).

Upon some more research, it may be part of a tape worm cycle Although, these parasites don't seem to be common in pythons??? Rodents are frequent carriers of them, though. Maybe ingested an infected meal??? It would be just the sort of thing to happen to me (I have the world's crappiest luck-seems like: if I touch it, it will go badly ).

He's still going to the vet tomorrow. I'm also having my husband (a microbiologist) take some of the pooh to the lab tomorrow to check it out under the scope (vet will also do that).

Anyone have tape worm issues with a ball python before??? Has anyone had an import have them. Anyone with one get them from their food?
    Cheers,
    Jessica Gibbs

www.supercoilconstrictors.com
    Balls, Corns, Bci, Bcl, Bco & Morelia

Thanks
    that is not a tape worm. tape worms are flat and long. If I remember right they only infect mamals. That is just crazy. I want to know what the vet said. I take it back they can infect snakes but I know that is not a tapeworm
    Last edited by rdoyle; 02-11-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks

How SURE are you its a male?

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is fantastically interesting.

I have had no experience with such expulsions (hard stuff, yes, water bags no...), but will be watching to see what you find with the vet.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

pavlovk1025 (02-13-2011)

Thanks
    maybe its fat from the rats it has eaten, ya prolly not it but thats all i got.

there is another thread just like this one on here somewhere. not sure what the outcome was. and a hermaphrodite snake is possible from what i have read but is very rare. somebody on here had an old BP that one just popped out eggs.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Perhaps its really a female and its a premature egg...thats my guess but really I have no idea. Let us know when you find out!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Ive seen this 3 times now. 2 with corn snakes and one with ball python.

Its a female that has gone through menstrual cycle and laid slug. Should be more coming out soon unless shes smaller. its not uncommon for sexually mature females to do this especially colubrids.

Picture curtosy of janet aka Edfspythons.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Anna.Sitarski (08-27-2011),jsschrei (02-11-2011),shelliebear (02-13-2011),sho220 (02-13-2011),slackerz (09-08-2011),Vipera Berus (02-01-2017)

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast