Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,697

3 members and 2,694 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Humidifiers; Are they a bad thing?

I have seen on reptile websites a couple humidifiers that are supposed to help regulate humidity levels. One actually recommends a temp/humidity controller (exe. when the humidity drops to low it kicks on the humidifier same with the temp). A lot of people have said that the humidifiers are more for amphibious animals but I was wondering if the humidifier would cause my BP to get sick in anyway if it was on one of these temp/humidity controllers?

People have just posted things saying they aren't really needed for BPs but not whether or not they will cause harm

Thanks
    I only use an humidifier when:

- my ball python is in shed and the humidity in the tank is too low to support a good shed
    - my ball python is injured and needs additional humidity to support the healing

I do not use it on a regular basis, too much risk of issues in my opinion and further more if this needs to be used on a regular basis the tank is not set up properly for a ball python and then it is more recommended to get a stable setup.

1.0.0 Python Regius Spider 66% poss. het. Ghost, nk juli 2010
    0.1.0 Python Regius Normal, nk dec 2010
    0.1.0 Python Regius Pastel, nk okt 2011
    0.1.0 Python Regius Cinnamon, nk 2012
    0.1.0 Lampropeltis Getula Californiae Stripe, nk aug 2008
    1.0.0 Lampropeltis Getula Nigrita, nk 2003

Thanks

Re: Humidifiers; Are they a bad thing?

I have a 75 gallon fish tank full of fish in my snake room. It keeps the humidity just right. The water also helps keep the temperature more stable.
    Last edited by koloo921; 02-10-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks

You just contradicted yourself... but that's not why I'm responding anyway, haha. A proper setup doesn't always account for winter dryness. A humidifier is not a bad idea if you think that the air is too dry, I just wouldn't siphon it into individual tanks, that would be excessive. You could always just spray the enclosure.

Personally, I have a humidifier in my bedroom for me, but all the animals get sprayed occasionally and that's been working fine, no need to overly complicate things.

Quote Originally Posted by Josm1982 View Post
    I only use an humidifier when:

- my ball python is in shed and the humidity in the tank is too low to support a good shed
    - my ball python is injured and needs additional humidity to support the healing

I do not use it on a regular basis, too much risk of issues in my opinion and further more if this needs to be used on a regular basis the tank is not set up properly for a ball python and then it is more recommended to get a stable setup.
    Mike

Thanks

My house gets really dry in the winter. I use tubs, but have a room humidifier to control the room humidity. I really don't see a problem with using one, as long as it's controlled. My room thermometer beeps when the humidity is too high, or low. Sounds like my cell phone though, which can get confusing.

Good luck!
    Last edited by stratus_020202; 02-10-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy