Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

4 members and 3,036 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

hi, need some tips plz

i just got a pet rat and was wondering what would be the healthiest type of food for them so he can live a long happy healthy life

any suggestions? Plz and thank u

Registered User girlundertherainbow's Avatar
    Thanks

Rats

one of my fave animals. They just don't live long enough so I'll probably not have them again for a long time. First, I'd get it a same sex friend. Rats are very social. Best kept in same sex pairs, or trios.. or larger groups if a big enough cage and they are introduced young (can be done when older just much harder sometimes).
    Most of the foods in stores, or all, are not even close to being adequate imho.
    Ppl that breed rats for show and high quality pet usually feed something they mix from a variety of other things, and supplement, with a variety.
    Pretty bird parrot food (the big colored pellets ..or small, size doesn't matter really, but it's NOT a seed mix) is a good start.. then some good Kashi organic cereal.. some dried pastas.. a lil high quality dog kibble. I can't remember everything I used to put in my mix.. But that was a good portion of it. That and a lil fresh fruit/veggies daily..and cooked pasta from time to time..unseasoned baked chicken.. there's alot they can have, and that adds to, a good balanced rat diet.

Thanks

Re: Rats

Quote Originally Posted by girlundertherainbow View Post
    one of my fave animals. They just don't live long enough so I'll probably not have them again for a long time. First, I'd get it a same sex friend. Rats are very social. Best kept in same sex pairs, or trios.. or larger groups if a big enough cage and they are introduced young (can be done when older just much harder sometimes).
    Most of the foods in stores, or all, are not even close to being adequate imho.
    Ppl that breed rats for show and high quality pet usually feed something they mix from a variety of other things, and supplement, with a variety.
    Pretty bird parrot food (the big colored pellets ..or small, size doesn't matter really, but it's NOT a seed mix) is a good start.. then some good Kashi organic cereal.. some dried pastas.. a lil high quality dog kibble. I can't remember everything I used to put in my mix.. But that was a good portion of it. That and a lil fresh fruit/veggies daily..and cooked pasta from time to time..unseasoned baked chicken.. there's alot they can have, and that adds to, a good balanced rat diet.
    well, ive been feeding him grapes, carrots, and sunflower seed mixes... and he is around 7months old and i really dont want to get another rat right now... maybe in the future though

Thanks

Re: hi, need some tips plz

From my experience so far and from what I've read on them, its really not much of an option to only have a single rat unless you plan on socializing with them most of the day (well, their day i guess since they're nocturnal). They will get depressed and start developing health problems if they don't have a buddy to socialize with.

As far as food goes, girlundertherainbow had a good explanation. spaghetti is like crack for rats, mine go absolutely crazy whenever there is spaghetti being cooked. Dog cookies also work well for treats as long as theyre given in small amounts. Just make sure to stay away from chocolate, coffee products, etc. sunflower seeds are also pretty high in fat so make sure your mix isn't mostly sunflower seed (i've noticed mine specifically pick out the sunflower seeds and leave the healthier stuff behind, which is another reason why seed mixes don't work too well). And remember to make sure you balance out the dry food with the fresh fruits and veggies, since too much fresh food can give them tummy problems.
    Last edited by lk_holla; 02-19-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman