Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,368

1 members and 2,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: Do you like the iPad?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like it a lot.

10 71.43%
  • No, I hate it. (Why?)

3 21.43%
  • Could use some improvements, but not terrible. (Why?/What Improvements?)

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

iPad Users: Reviews?

Basically I'm sick and tired of my desktop, and being that I'm going to be travelling a lot (hopefully) and was promised a laptop. Being that I love touch screen, and I love apple, and I love portable stuff I thought I'd go for an iPad instead because the 32 gig is about the same price as a nice laptop anyways. I tried a couple of them out at the store and am really liking them.

So I want to know, does anyone on here use one and what do you think of them?
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    its a big iphone, that you can't make phone calls on, also find it difficult to type on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts
    I will chimenin quickly to say that I really love mine. As with anything tech there are good and bad points. When I get home I'll post them up. I will say that I rarely use my laptop anymore.
    --Walt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-08-2011)

Thanks
    I love my ipad a lot. But no, it doesn't replace my laptop. They provide completely different functionality. So, before pushing the money to an iPad, make sure you know what you're needing the thing for... because, regardless of what the advertisements say, there's not always an app for that.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-08-2011)

Thanks
    Complaints:
    No SD port to upload memory cards.
    External keyboards can run you an additional $100.
    Wish printing was easy but have yet to find a way to print on my wifi printer.
    Overall, i use it for web and email.

I would go with a macbook which can do alot more for an additional $200 or so from the 32gb model

And if your trying to type while laying down or sitting down, can be very uncomfortable. Its cool because its an apple gadget but since it was a gift to me i cant complain too much about it as i didnt drop the $500 on it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NNJExotics For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-08-2011)

Thanks
    They have microsoft office on the ipad. I bought my gf one and she uses it all the time instead of her laptop. I'm 6'1 and have no problems typing on the screen; coming from touchscreen phone texting this is extremely easy to use. I'm a network administrator and can do half my work from my droidx for gods sake. The ipad can easily handle what the majority of people do with their time on a desktop or laptop. I'm a PC guy and have never been a huge fan of macs, but the ipad is pretty impressive. Comparing the iphone to the ipad is like comparing a cadillac cts to a cts-v.
    Last edited by Slyther83; 02-08-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    0.1 werewolf killer retic
    1.0 dwarf doublehet snow retic
    0.1 tiger white phase retic
    1.0 purple phase retic
    0.1 platinum tiger retic
    1.0 platinum retic
    0.1 hypo pastel BCI
    0.1 guyana BCC

1.0 bull terrier

3 Sentec cages @ 96x30x22.5

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slyther83 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts
    Pros:
    Seriously easy to travel with.
    Fast UI and overall performance.
    Amazing battery life (legit 10+ hours)
    Fun to use.
    Crazy app selection with thousands of iPad specific apps.
    Easy to find accessories.
    Super well built.

Cons:
    No flash, although I don't miss it very often. Skyfire browser will play flash videos.
    No external memory slot (big deal to some)
    No camera for video calls (on 1st gen)

I wouldn't consider this as a laptop replacement, but more of a laptop's little buddy. Perfect for web browsing, watching video either native or Netflix/Hulu and apps/games. You can get work done as it supports Office suite. If I were to carry around just one thing and I used it for work it would be an 11.6" Macbook Air. I know that other things are more powerful and cheaper, but I don't care that thing is sweet.
    My iPad lays next to my chair and I always reach for it instead of my laptop first.
    I love it for what it is because it does that very well. It's not just a big iPod Touch. There are so many apps made specifically for the iPad or enhanced for it that it makes a big difference. Apps like Pages and Amplitube are just amazing to me. I don't think you can go wrong with one as long as you know what you want it for and it suits your needs.
    There are a ton of tablets on the way, but I don't think that the mainstream models such as the Xoom and the Playbook are going to make a huge dent in iPad sales. There just something about it that just works and is very fluid. I love Android, but anyone who says it's fluid is in denial. HP/Palm should be showing some exciting stuff tomorrow at their event so keep an eye out for a WebOS tablet.
    Last edited by waltah!; 02-08-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    --Walt

13. The Following User Says Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-09-2011)

Thanks
    Maybe it's the fact that my boyfriend is a programmer, maybe it's the fact that I built my own computer, and maybe it's the fact that I'm not into apple products anyway LOL.. But to me, the ipad is nothing but a big iphone that doesn't fit in your pocket. It's a GREAT..giant iphone. But it's not a laptop. I need my laptop for my own art business as well as..well, gaming! I prefer a computer with the power and capabilities to do what I want.. I don't want a big thing to send emails or surf on line--I can do that on my iphone and my laptop. It does nothing new for me. Plus, carrying it around in my city is asking to get mugged, as if that wasn't a problem where I live already. I'll take the iphone over the ipad any day for that reason, but that's just me. My aunt loves hers, but she doesn't do anything serious or need much out of her electronics, she just doesn't see well so she likes the big screen, and she doesn't care of she can't do things that she could on a laptop

If you want a big screen to watch videos and emails, go for it. I just need a little bit more out of my electronics... especially for the amount of money it costs! I could get a much better laptop instead, or snake stuff

15. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-09-2011)

Thanks

Re: iPad Users: Reviews?

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I'm pretty much a chill electronics user. All I want to be able to do is make Word/Excel/Powerpoint-type documents for school and to be able to surf internet and maybe listen to a little music now and then. That's the reason why I was looking into an iPad instead of a full-out laptop, because I don't really use any of the things that the iPad can't do. For that I could always use my desktop if I'm in dire straits.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    i work at best buy most people that buy it think its the best thing for the first 2 months and then never use it after that. i would still go with a net book over an ipad if you don't have the money the blow. just like OhhWatALoser said was true, if you want some close to a laptop would be the motorola atrix with the labtop dock, going to be $199 for the phone and laptop dock will set you back $300, or you could get that new motorola tab from verizon the Xoom. if i was you i would just wait for something better to come along like plam tablet the touchpad, or just get a real tablet from motion computing if you got some money to blow. you could receiver a pdf file sign it and email it back with ing the same minute. Amazon sell some for $500 to $700 with a duo posser.
    Collecting Ball Pythons is the adult version of Pokemon. "Gota Catch 'em All"

1.0 Het. Pied female 2007
    0.1 Het. Pied male 2010 (NERD)
    1.1 Fire male 2010 (Action Reptiles)
    (I think the female is a fire, shows the traits but not very strong)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to alopez700 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (03-09-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast