Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,535

2 members and 1,533 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thoughts on tubs?

So I've been thinking about switching to all out racks for my ASFs... I've tried a rack a couple times with no success due to chewing, so I was trying to think of a cheap/fool proof tub for ASFs. My question is would sheet metal work? If I folded sheet metal into a tub looking style and welded it would that work? Or would there be a negative effect on the metal due to the urine? Any input or thoughts or advice is always welcomed and loved.

Thanks

Re: Thoughts on tubs?

What are they chewing? I've had about 50 adults in these tubs (different racks) for about 1-2 months without them being chewed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

:'(

I had them in litter boxes in a rack, I don't know if the thickness of a CD was too much but they chewed right through the tub. I have 1 group that hasn't done any chewing and 3 that just love to chew, I've tried throwing blocks in there for them to chew along with toilet paper rolls anything and everything with no success.

Thanks

I keep all mine in concrete mixing tubs on my rat rack. I have not had any problems with ASF chewers. I had a group of rats chew out and that tub was my snakes next meal. Chewing is a learned behavior and the only way to cure it is to feed the whole tub. If you want to keep the chewers move them into a aquarium. Good luck

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

mixing tubs

Aren't the concrete mixing tubs too tall for ASFs though? also what would u run in a mixing tub? 1.5? 1.6?

Thanks

The Adults can reach a water bottle. I wean my babies in 10 gallon aquariums 2-3 days after their eyes open. I feed on the floor. I run from 1.5 to 1.8 in a tub.

Thanks
    I keep an entire rack filled with ASFs (since this past summer) and they have not chewed on any of the mixing tubs from Home Depot. And as for reaching the water I am still using water bottles and the little ones just jump on top of the house or TP roll and drink...I feed on the ground in the tub...The only little problem I ever have is if I turn around for a second one always climbs out!!!
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

Thanks
    I use Lab grade tubs, like the size of a shoebox tub. Don't use Big Apple Herp. I have had mice chew these. You have to use the good ones where the metal goes below the plastic so they can't chew the plastic. Have been using these several months without any chew marks let alone chew outs.
    Great litters too.