Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,179

1 members and 2,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Unhappy Male hognose won`t eat

Hi, i have a male hognose that stopped eating on 9/1/10 so i went on and cooled him and my female to breed.i have them warmedthem both up now and my female is going to town eatting but my male still won`t. He is very active an all but he won`t eat. Anyone what what to to get him to eating.thanks

Thanks
    my male does this every year. he stops eating novemberish and doesn't start again till march or april. i offer food once a month during these times to not waste feeders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas339 For This Useful Post:

BILLIE BOB (02-07-2011)

Thanks

Re: Male hognose won`t eat

Quote Originally Posted by lucas339 View Post
    my male does this every year. He stops eating novemberish and doesn't start again till march or april. I offer food once a month during these times to not waste feeders.
    thanks i have been doing the same with the feeders so hopeiful next month he will start eating again

Thanks
    Mine only takes toads no matter what I try so he tends to go a while during the winter too. Sure wish I could break him of that

Thanks

Re: Male hognose won`t eat

Quote Originally Posted by grits View Post
    Mine only takes toads no matter what I try so he tends to go a while during the winter too. Sure wish I could break him of that
    is yours a western or eastern.i have 4 westerns that will eat f/t and live pinkie and fuzzy mice and rat pups and the other 2 including my male will only eat live.i was told the if you take a f/t pinkie of fuzzy or what size you snake will eat and splite the brain open and put it in a small dark box with you snake it will alot of the time make then eat the mouse.we have done this with a pyphon and it worked.i haven`t got lucky yet to get my male to eat a f/t fuzzy yet when he was eating but hoping now scence it has been a few months sence he has eaten he will take them with no trouble.i hoping that he does.

Thanks
    the method above may work. in my experience with frog/toad eaters it doesn't. there are a couple of kinda gross methods you can use to switch them over. both only really work with f/t.

one is a toad slurry. freeze the toad first!! this will kill it. then blend it up and freeze it. ever time you offer a rodent, thaw out a small portion of the slurry and soak the rodent in it. the cut back on the slurry each time until you aren't using it at all.

another method that worked for me is by using the frog/toad skin to cover the rodent. again, freeze the animal first. then thaw it out and cut the skin off of the frog/toad. i used a scaple (i am a biologist and have lots of them). take the skin and put it over top of the rodent. if you are good at disection, you can quickly cut off portions of the toad without letting it thaw all the way. this will make the toad last longer. again, each time, reduce the amount of toad/frog.

if neither work right away, try the sented animal in a dark bag as said above. try your hardest not to revert to straight toad/frog. even if the animal took a rodent one week and won't take it the next week or two....don't go back! you will have to start all over.

billie bob, my male will only eat with the method you described. its pretty annoying!!