Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,807

2 members and 2,805 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Why is my veild such a pansy?

Quote Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    He is in our main living area (appartment) and every time we are there he retreats to the bottom. The temp is about 70-75 and he has a small basking spot. And its the cage he grew up in, got him on craigslist.
    I would suggest putting him in a low traffic area, some Chams are just more shy than others and vice versa. What are the temps in his basking spot? I believe that for a Veild his age should be in the low 80's.

Pictures would REALLY help.
    Last edited by PrettyInInk87; 02-13-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^ What she said, lol.

Your temps are good for ambient but I'd bump up the basking spot to 85-90.

What exactly is the cage like?

Ours did very well in the large screen viv. The basking spot was small but stayed around 90 and only on in the day along with a full spectrum UV lamp. The room was kept around 72. Gave him lots of plants and vines. We also used a drip system for water/humidity.
    ~Jessica~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsmorphs2 View Post
    ^^^ What she said, lol.

Your temps are good for ambient but I'd bump up the basking spot to 85-90.

What exactly is the cage like?

Ours did very well in the large screen viv. The basking spot was small but stayed around 90 and only on in the day along with a full spectrum UV lamp. The room was kept around 72. Gave him lots of plants and vines. We also used a drip system for water/humidity.
    Yes, minimum for an adult Veild or Panther Cham is 24x24x48 inches... They should have a Repti-sun 5.0 linear bulb along with a basking bulb and done (regular house bulb is fine) and depending on your temps depends on the wattage of the bulb. He can also be hiding down toward the bottom because there isn't enough cover up top. Lots of live plants and vines are important. Again, sorry about the ranting... Chameleons are my first passion. I have 2 of my own (would have more if I had the space).

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    You can get a drip system for like $10- on a bunch of different sites. It works really well. I did not even think to ask you where he was in your house. Chams as Pretty stated like to be in more of a low traffic area with little noise. Ours is in my sons room which for the most part is fairly quiet and he has really taken off. He likes to eat without ppl looking in on him as well. As far as the cage....Pretty was right on again. There are many cages out there but this is the one I like best. We are currently getting ready to upgrade George as he has grown soooooooooo quickly its crazy! This seems to be the best bang for your money and I have seen them at a show before. Very nice!!
    http://www.diycages.com/15201/15922.html

Pretty....I do have a question for you.....what is the benefit of using real plants over fake ones?? I currently use fake as I find it easier to clean. George seems to be doing very well as he is HUGE and only 3 1/2 months old. Also do you give your chams any greens at all? I read somewhere that you can offer them some and ever since I started doing this he does occasionally have a nibble here and there.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12