Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,906

1 members and 2,905 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Giving herself belly rot?

Hiya. As you may or may not know, I've had a baby Central American boa for about three weeks now and she's doing great.

Now, I have one concern (but I'm probably overreacting because I tend to do that): she loves to soak. My humidity and temperatures are perfect, and she's got no signs of mites, so I think she's just a bather. Is there any chance of her giving herself belly rot because of it?
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Re: Giving herself belly rot?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    Hiya. As you may or may not know, I've had a baby Central American boa for about three weeks now and she's doing great.

Now, I have one concern (but I'm probably overreacting because I tend to do that): she loves to soak. My humidity and temperatures are perfect, and she's got no signs of mites, so I think she's just a bather. Is there any chance of her giving herself belly rot because of it?
    No, one of my CA boas used to do that too all the time. I never had any issues with belly rot, or any other sickness. I wouldn't worry about it. Now if she is spilling her water on the substrate, and laying on that, yes, that could cause belly rot. Just make sure her substrate is clean and dry.
    Last edited by Wh00h0069; 02-01-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-01-2011)

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    I have NO experience with Boa's other than I have babyset a few. Wh00 - do you think it might be a good idea to treat her cage once with Provent a mite just in case. The reason I say this is once you see the mites....YOU HAVE REALLY GOT THEM. You cannot see eggs or newly hatched mites...in fact you don't see them until they are adults. I don't know....wait for a response.....but that is what I do with EVERY new snake I get.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BPelizabeth For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    I have NO experience with Boa's other than I have babyset a few. Wh00 - do you think it might be a good idea to treat her cage once with Provent a mite just in case. The reason I say this is once you see the mites....YOU HAVE REALLY GOT THEM. You cannot see eggs or newly hatched mites...in fact you don't see them until they are adults. I don't know....wait for a response.....but that is what I do with EVERY new snake I get.
    It definitely would not hurt, but if the OP is sure they are no mites is is not necessary. Some snakes will use their water bowl to feel more secure. I believe that is what mine was doing. She grew out of it.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    I was thinking of this too, I started to doubt myself, but I've had her for three weeks on paper towel with no signs, no signs in the water bowl, and I've been seeing her at the store for at least a month before bringing her home and there were no signs of mites, and she was sprayed with anti-mite treatment before she came home as a precaution as well, so unless there are invisible bionic mites, I think she's clean.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    Some snakes will use their water bowl to feel more secure. I believe that is what mine was doing. She grew out of it.
    Thank you, this is making sense now that I think about it. She'll sit in there and watch me when I go by, either waiting to be fed or on guard in case the giant decides to take her out lol I just never had experience with snakes soaking because my ball and every ball I've met hated water, and I never really met many boas.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    Thank you, this is making sense now that I think about it. She'll sit in there and watch me when I go by, either waiting to be fed or on guard in case the giant decides to take her out lol I just never had experience with snakes soaking because my ball and every ball I've met hated water, and I never really met many boas.
    If you start to see signs that the water is hurting her in any way, get a smaller water bowl that she will not be able to soak in. Also make sure they she has a tight-fitting hide that she could use instead if she feels the need.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    If you start to see signs that the water is hurting her in any way, get a smaller water bowl that she will not be able to soak in. Also make sure they she has a tight-fitting hide that she could use instead if she feels the need.
    Will do, thanks. And already a step ahead of you on the hides lol, I always get the smallest they can fit in.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks
    As long as the water is 80* or warmer and you are really sure there are no mites, don't worry about it. Keep an eye out for any signs of stomatitis, but if your boa is choosing to soak, there shouldn't be any issues.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy4Herps For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (02-04-2011)