Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,790

2 members and 2,788 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Any military members out there?

When I transferred, I bought a converter for the car(SUV) and hooked up heat mats to a T-stat, Stacked all the tubs in the cargo area and stopped periodically to check temps and such. All of mine made trip with no issues.
    Charles B. Cardell
    www.ciderinc.com

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing
    it. - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks
    Just want to salute you gentlemen
    1.0 Spider (NERD)
    0.1 Pastel 100% het Ghost
    1.0 Pastel RTB

Thanks
    Thanks for the help guys! The wife and fell in love with a Savanah Monitor but realized it would be too hard to house and move him. I was pretty upset because I was ready to build the enclosure, but we compromised and it looks like I'll be getting another snake (most likely a ball!) and she wants a beardie. Neither of which should be too hard to move. HI is a possibility but a SLIM one... It's a guard unit and they're not taking that many active duty guys. Hopefully I'll get Alaska. I can own ANYTHING there! Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Any military members out there?

My hubby is the one in the Air Force and I'm the one with the animals....but yeah...I still have to deal with and plan for all the PCS's...and we have a LOT of em. (a lot of PCS's, that is)

The main thing is to always have a plan...which is seems like you're doing...so you're good there. No matter how much I want certain animals, I simply can NOT have them. Tortoises, for instance. I love them as much as I love snakes and almost hurt inside at being unable to keep any at this time. But they are simply not suited to cross-country moves and unpredictable environments and living conditions. Snakes, on the other hand (moderate sized ones, anyhow) are much simpler and always have the exact same environment no matter which state we live in.

I also have all my contingency plans set up on the off-chance we get sent to Hawaii or overseas. I've got friends and family that can keep them for me until we return state-side. That is something you'll need to consider with each creature you choose to take in.

So basically...plan carefully and always be thinking ahead. How many animals can you realistically move cross-country with? Keep in mind you won't always get door-to-door moves and sometimes you have to spend days or even weeks in TLF or hotels. What will you do with the animals then? If it's a small enough number, they're fairly easy to hide. But tons of animals or really big animals......not so much!

I've got traveling tubs and snake bags all set up and I've done it so many times now, it doesn't take a lot of thought or effort for me to move mine....but I've only got a handful, and plan to keep it that way until we retire. (Oh, sweet Lord, I'm so ready for retirement! )
    Last edited by JLC; 02-02-2011 at 01:37 AM.
    -- Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12